M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon from snowy, cold N. Michigan,

I recently acquired some LC brass 82' NM.
Alot of it has a dent that measures apprx. 1.31" from the base, and the dent is high on the left side angling downward from the left. I resized a few pieces which decreased the dent but, did not make it go away. Figured I would ask the experts!
Thanks, Todd

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry, not that techno advanced (pics). Looking at the dent, it's high on the leftand drops approx. 1/8"?
Well after looking at the black rifle forum, I take it that discharges from the M-14 platform causes slight dents in brass?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that it had been fired from an HK91, giving the characteristic dent from colliding with the ejection port on the way out.

Are there any marks or discolorations on the brass, lines running lengthwise, as if it had been fired in a fluted chamber?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, nothing like that, just this 1/8" slight dent? Could it have hit something during ejection?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I've reloaded hundreds, if not thousands, of brass 7.62 cases that were fired in an HK91. They were really ugly, with marks from the fluted chamber, ejection port dents and crushed case mouths. I usually got four reloadings before I ditched the casings. So...........I would think there's no reason that a small dent in the side of the case would be a reason for not reloading them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've reloaded hundreds, if not thousands, of brass 7.62 cases that were fired in an HK91. They were really ugly, with marks from the fluted chamber, ejection port dents and crushed case mouths. I usually got four reloadings before I ditched the casings. So...........I would think there's no reason that a small dent in the side of the case would be a reason for not reloading them.
Same here they look like the have been through the war, the "flutes" is what looks the worst, from the chamber, biggest problem I have is finding the brass 30-40 feet to the front and right. On some I may go 5 reloadings. So in answer to the OP I would go ahead a reload but that's just me.

-Rock

·
Non-resident by request
169 Posts
Reload it...

I only disgard cases if they have a gouge in them where it is obvious that the case wall is thinner.

My M1 puts a flat place on the head of the cartridge right where the letters and date are... sort of looks like someone bashed the edge of it with a hammer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts