M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rifle is in the shop for a hanging front site (left).

Since I shipped it off with a letter to the smith I hear things like the ejector and/or bolt is likely faulty or some such thing.

My question then is simple. Will SA do just what I ask, or what really needs to be done? Maybe not so simple a question, then. Just looking for experieces. Did they call you to discuss what needed to happen? Did they do anything you didn't ask them to? Send you a test target? Maybe I need to do a poll..

Nervous.....

Rob

·
Registered
947 Posts
The extractor is likely faulty. Just replace it with a M1 or M14 extactor now, or wait until it fails. Other than that there should be no problems. Hanging front sight can be fixed with a 50 cent Allen wrench, any reason you sent the rifle to the factory for this adjustment?

-- Chuck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chuck S said:
The extractor is likely faulty. Just replace it with a M1 or M14 extactor now, or wait until it fails. Other than that there should be no problems. Hanging front sight can be fixed with a 50 cent Allen wrench, any reason you sent the rifle to the factory for this adjustment?

-- Chuck
Chuck-

Which part did I miss? The site hangs over to get a battle zero on the rifle. Pretty sure the barrel needs indexing. My 50 cent Allen wrench helped move it all the way left while sighting in. When I was centered on target the site was a hanger. My understanding is that is bad, not to mention a pretty ugly sight picture :roll: Please elaborate...

Rob

·
Registered
947 Posts
Gotcha, it's being returned because you can't zero it. Could be a number of things the Allen wrench won't fix. Including a bent barrel or bad receiver.

Hopefully you fully decribed the problem to Springfield Inc so they don't make the same assumption I did and just center the sight and send it back. 8)

-- Chuck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx for clarifying for anyone else Chuck what my issue is. The rifle did zero, but with a hanger. I sent the target with a detailed letter, I think they will see the issue. The muzzle brake also appeared to be twisted on the end of the barrel so I think it is an index issue, but may be more ugly like you mentioned. Thanx

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.