M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if someone has already asked this, but, I'm new to the M14/M1a, I have a loaded Springfield, that I have already mounted a scope, and bipod, but was wondering, with all that is out there, is there anything that I can do to make mine a better rife. It has been fairley tight grouped, I have only been able to shoot it at fifty yards so far, but that is going to change this weekend. Its shot about a quarter inch group at its best grouping at fifty, so I don't think accuracy had anything left to add. But I see all these web sites selling milled parts, and different charging handles among other things, and I don't know if any of this will make my rifle a better more solid rifle. Any suggestions? dance2

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I would only do a few things... drop in a Sadlak NM op rod spring guide, have the gas cylinder/front band unitized and shim it, fit the hand guard properly and silicone it in place, enjoy it.

Swapping out parts that are working fine for you aren't going to get you anything and may even mess with your current accuracy.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
IMO, your rifle is fine as-is, unless you want to tailor it for some very specific type of shooting.
I would not make any changes unless something breaks, or you see some sort of obvious deficiency in the current setup.

First determine how much shooting you want to do. If more than about 100 rounds per year, then consider buying basic reloading tools.

Generally, using high quality ammo gives better results than cheap stuff - even at short range.
Having good ammo is very important if you are concerned about accuracy and shooting ability.

If you are interested in competition events, you can refer to the NRA's 'coming events' section in the online magazine SSUSA - see here:
http://www.nxtbook.com/fx/mags/lastissue.php?mp=/nxtbooks/nra/shootingsportsusa

With a scope & bipod your rifle would fit in the F-class type of events.
At most other types of matches you would be allowed to shoot, but not win prizes.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts