M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to start reloading for my Loaded, this will be my first time loading for the M1A. I have a Hornady lock and load single stage press. I like RCBS dies and own several sets for different calibers. Is it necessary to purchase match grade dies? Gonna watch Tony Ben's reloading video again before I start.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I've never had an issues with Lee, so I use them exclusively. Even when I load on my Dillon 650 ... I use Lee. They back up the accuracy of their dies, and I like the Factory Crimp die for every semi-auto cartridge I load.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
RCBS SB Dies

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Dillon size/trim die.

Reactions: SA762

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Used a set of Pacific (what they used to call Hornady) dies almost 40 years ago. Used them until 5 or 6 years ago when my wife bought me a set of RCB .308 X dies (along with a set of .223 and .30-06 X dies, too.)

Reactions: SA762

·
Registered
138 Posts
Lee three die set. No complaints.
I get sub 1inch groups with my 700P and although I have not settled on a preferred load for my M-14, I get decent groups. I have thought about upgrading to Redding and probably will when I find a good deal on a set.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Which Die set

Most of all my dies and equipment, of all my reloading calibers, are RCBS. For the 308 I use, in the following order, :
1. A RCBS, 30-06, FL die, without the decapping pin in place
2. A RCBS, 308 Win, FL die - with decapping pin in place
3. If needed, a RCBS S/B die with the decapping pin in place
4. A Redding Competition Seating die
4. A also load the 308 Win. on a RCBS, single stage, Rock Chucker Supreme

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most of all my dies and equipment, of all my reloading calibers, are RCBS. For the 308 I use, in the following order, :
1. A RCBS, 30-06, FL die, without the decapping pin in place
2. A RCBS, 308 Win, FL die - with decapping pin in place
3. If needed, a RCBS S/B die with the decapping pin in place
4. A Redding Competition Seating die
4. A also load the 308 Win. on a RCBS, single stage, Rock Chucker Supreme
Why do you run a case through a '06 die first?

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I am using an RCBS SB 'X' sizing die and an old Lee 'floating' bullet seater die with an RCBS lock ring and different bullet seating depths marked with a permanet marker on the side of the die

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
All my dies are Lee, except for one RCBS small base dies that I use for M14 and .308 Garand. Reason why is that LEE don't make small base die, last time I looked.
I love my Lee dies for sure; and my Reddings... RCBS #3

·
Registered
124 Posts
use the 30-06 die first

This was a tip I picked up on this forum posted by member Phil McGraph. The purpose is to work the brass in stages so the process is easier on the brass and the reloaders arm. I does work and it has made processing the LC M/Gun brass MUCH easier and I feel it will extend the life of the brass (still in test stage).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.