M14 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,649 Posts
"Inherit the Stars" By James P. Hogan, after I finish it I am going to read the sequel called "The Giants of Ganymede"
They are from the 70's

Casey

·
Registered
222 Posts
A TIME FOR TRUMPETS by Charles B. MacDonald

We've all read about the Battle of the Bulge, but this is supposed to be THE best account of our biggest battle in WWII

·
Registered
510 Posts
"Dead center: A Marine Sniper's Two-Year Odyssey in the Vietnam War" by Ed Kugler and "Starship Troopers" by Robert A. Heinlein. Bought the "Dead Center" on cds a while back but one of the disc was jacked up so I got a book. "Starship Troopers" I wanted to read it after I learnt it was a book after seeing the movie for years.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
"How to make Toilet paper at home" by Mr. Panic

seriously though, I am reading my set of M14 history and development books again. Way to much info in them to adsorb in just one reading. This will be round #3 reading them. Having a damaged memory has its good side. I get to read books several times, always as interesting and exciting as the first time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Didn’t start it yet but I got it a couple months ago for our vacation upcoming, long flight.
“Six Frigates”. It’s about the founding of the USN and the first ships in the new Fleet.
For decades from the time I was born, I thought I was looking at one of the first six frigates in the US Navy, the USS Constellation, moored at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. Came to find out that while it is not one of the Original Six, it was built with some materials from the original ship and is now the USS Constellation- the last existing intact naval vessel from the American Civil War, and she was the last solely wind-powered warship built by the U.S. Navy.

Just finished reading “Indianapolis: The True Story of the Worst Sea Disaster in U.S. Naval History and the Fifty-Year Fight to Exonerate an Innocent Man” by Lynn Vincent and Sara Vladic. It was an eye-opener.

Awaiting the release of Winds of Wrath, the latest in The Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson. It an alternative history/sci-fi series about a 4-stacker destroyer that is transported to an alternate Earth in the early stages of WWII.

·
Registered
222 Posts
For decades from the time I was born, I thought I was looking at one of the first six frigates in the US Navy, the USS Constellation, moored at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. Came to find out that while it is not one of the Original Six, it was built with some materials from the original ship and is now the USS Constellation- the last existing intact naval vessel from the American Civil War, and she was the last solely wind-powered warship built by the U.S. Navy.

Just finished reading “Indianapolis: The True Story of the Worst Sea Disaster in U.S. Naval History and the Fifty-Year Fight to Exonerate an Innocent Man” by Lynn Vincent and Sara Vladic. It was an eye-opener.

Awaiting the release of Winds of Wrath, the latest in The Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson. It an alternative history/sci-fi series about a 4-stacker destroyer that is transported to an alternate Earth in the early stages of WWII.
Read "Halsey's Typhoon" to learn about another disaster.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Read "Halsey's Typhoon" to learn about another disaster.
I’ve heard about that, but I bet that book is highly detailed. I’ll have to check that one out!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I’ve heard about that, but I bet that book is highly detailed. I’ll have to check that one out!
Yes it is highly detailed. Between this and his chase of Ozawa at Leyte many believe he should have been reprimanded. But, like MacArthur's non-defense of the Philippines on 12/8/41, no punishment was administered.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes it is highly detailed. Between this and his chase of Ozawa at Leyte many believe he should have been reprimanded. But, like MacArthur's non-defense of the Philippines on 12/8/41, no punishment was administered.
From The Hunt For Red October:

[the Russian Alpha submarine shoots a torpedo at the Red October]
Capt. Vasili Borodin : Torpedo impact, 20 seconds.
Captain Ramius : [to Ryan] What books?
Jack Ryan : [confused] Pardon me?
Captain Ramius : What books did you write?
Jack Ryan : I wrote a biography of, of Admiral Halsey, called "The Fighting Sailor", about, uh, naval combat tactics...
Captain Ramius : I know this book!
Capt. Vasili Borodin : Torpedo impact...
Captain Ramius : Your conclusions were all wrong, Ryan...
Capt. Vasili Borodin : ...10 seconds.
Captain Ramius : ...Halsey acted stupidly.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just about anything by David Weber or John Ringo. I have reread 20 - 25 of their books, Prince Roger series, Troy Rising series, the series with Steve White ending with The Shiva Option, and most of the Honor Harrington series. Then there is the whole Monster Hunter series by Larry Correia, all good stuff,

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just started "Alone at Dawn ". It's about the actions taken by MSgt. John Chapman on 4 March, 2002 that earned him the Medal of Honor. I recently watched for the first time a you tube video of a CIA drone that recorded the actions of that engagement. Had to get the book to learn more.

·
Read Only
3,779 Posts
"Dead center: A Marine Sniper's Two-Year Odyssey in the Vietnam War" by Ed Kugler and "Starship Troopers" by Robert A. Heinlein. Bought the "Dead Center" on cds a while back but one of the disc was jacked up so I got a book. "Starship Troopers" I wanted to read it after I learnt it was a book after seeing the movie for years.
Did you know Heinlein was an enthusiastic gun rights supporter.
Here are some of his famous quotes. He wove this belief into his books.

https://www.azquotes.com/author/6509-Robert_A_Heinlein/tag/gun

41 - 60 of 150 Posts