·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

Attachments

·
Registered
8,666 Posts
I heard a boy win a local radio contest the other day. He won $30. When the DJ asked what he was gonna do with the money he said he liked to read so he thought he would buy some reading material. When asked what material he thought he would buy he replied "I'm Gonna Buy $30 Worth Of Victoria's Secret Catalogs"!USN2

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
^^^ this ^^^
And I was just thinking I'd like to read some of seagiant's thighs...

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Four Hours of Fury, about the crossing of the Rhine and Dresden, about the bombing.
Hi,
Interesting, I'll have to check that out!

The bombing of Dresden was written about in the novel "Slaughter House 5"...

By Kurt Vonnegutt, as he was there as a POW, captured at the Battle of the Bulge!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
I often read to escape - the wife - whatever...
Just finished Stephen Hunter's GAME OF SNIPERS. Bob Lee does it again!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Hi,
Interesting, I'll have to check that out!

The bombing of Dresden was written about in the novel "Slaughter House 5"...

By Kurt Vonnegutt, as he was there as a POW, captured at the Battle of the Bulge!
Germans have later complained it was punitive to bomb Dresden.

Vonnegut describes the hell there he experienced. He said in a lecture at University of Georgia that it was absolutely necessary. He was in a documentary and the documentary was portraying him as ambivalent. He was not happy about that. University of Georgia had Kurt Vonnegut come speak. Auburn- Charles Barkley. I've never seen a school more warped than AU. Hal Moore was available, but Iraq and Afghanistan were going on, so they dedicated 280 and the student union was too libtard to have him come speak. Most of them didn't know the Student Union building named after Foy, was named after Dean of Students Foy, who was a fighter pilot in WW2. Foy was an a-hole, he hated hippies, he kicked out dopers- I think I'd liked him.

My favorite book involves Ice-9, I forget the name. His satire of organized religion, government, the law of unintended consequences.

I've been reading Major Harry Smith, Australian Armed Forces account of Long Tran and all the hell he went through afterwards.

It's an excellent book. 100 Australians vs 2500 VC. Based on body count, the Aussies won. The VC declared it a victory.

Bleep the bleepity bleep VC.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just received Jim Thompson's new book - The Essential M1: A Practical and Historical Guide for Shooters and Collectors

(https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Garand-Practical-Historical-Collectors/dp/1510740120?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=1510740120).

Paged through it and started reading last night. Nicely printed large format book with a ton of information. Enjoyable reading.

I'll know a heck of a lot more about the M1 and its history when I finish it.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
My favorite Vonnegut was Galapagos. Humans evolved away their large brains and opposable thumbs, following a nebulous global cataclysm.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Just finished “The Charm School” by Nelson DeMille.

·
Registered
58 Posts
"American Lion" by John Mechum. Biography of Andrew Jackson. Got motivated to read about Jackson after reading "The Creature from Jekyll Island- a second look at the Federal Reserve". That's a real eye opener.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just finished “Go Like Hell” by AJ Baime. Highly recommend it for anyone with even a mild curiosity of the Ford GT40 program.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I bought a bunch of Curtus "Curtis" Turner's papers, pictures, and documents some time back from a writer/reporter's estate.

I've been reading them- Turner's thoughts, his methods, etc.

He was an Early of Earliest Nascar driver, friend and sometimes enemy of Fireball Roberts.

Reminded me of why I hate NASCAR now.

Man had a fascinating life.

At same time I just finished reading Fast as White Lightin' by former Charlotte Newpaper reporter Kim Chapin. I haven't watched a race since 2000.

I have an old Yahoomail Account- in it, some friends who worked in Mooresville and Dawsonville were talking about the "standardized body template". I said "The France family will use this to import a line of cars."

The person, who I think had more than a good guess- "No, they'll sell all teams a common chassis, shell, and engine. They don't want to be in the car business except as it controls NASCAR."

He was right, in 2006 came the C-O-T.

21 - 40 of 154 Posts