M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I totally forgot how much my muffs get in the way when shooting long guns. I took my new M1A scout to the range this weekend and quickly learned how comfortable it was to shoot with my muffs on, so I'm looking to get good ear plugs that are comfy and protect well.

I'm going to try the Howard Leight Quiet Bands which Hickock45 wears. It's received generally positive reviews. I don't mind spending some good money because I like my hearing and I want to protect it at any cost. A buddy of mine got custom molded plugs, but I read reviews that they shrink after drying and therefore allows more noise in.

Shooting my M1A for the first time was a blast...no pun intended. It didn't kick as hard as I thought it would and the sound wasn't as loud as I thought it'd be...as a shooter that is. Standing next to a friend who was shooting it is a different story. That thing is LOUD.

Anyway, What are your ear plug recommendations?

· Registered
25 Posts
Very expensive option but may be suited to your lifestyle. They list a 30-32 dB reduction.

I had a pair of these made about 7 years ago and I still wear them almost everyday. I work in an industrial environment so hearing protection is a must. I also wear them on the lawn mower, leaf blower, snow blower airplane travel etc. They are great cause you can use them as headphones and or as just hearing protection as the wire unplugs. The sound quality on them is absolutely unbelievable. They are made from a hard material that is durable and doesn't shrink. Sorry for the long rant I guess I like mine.......

http://www.sleek-audio.com/ct-6-custom-earphone/

· Registered
10,209 Posts
Howard quiet band is $4. How good can $4 be? It's foam plugs you can get at Walgreens that will reduce 30db.
I use the decibulz, but I still wear muffs over them when I shoot.

You can get custom plugs you mold yourself for around $20. Search the Internet.

I totally forgot how much my muffs get in the way when shooting long guns. I took my new M1A scout to the range this weekend and quickly learned how comfortable it was to shoot with my muffs on, so I'm looking to get good ear plugs that are comfy and protect well.

I'm going to try the Howard Leight Quiet Bands which Hickock45 wears. It's received generally positive reviews. I don't mind spending some good money because I like my hearing and I want to protect it at any cost. A buddy of mine got custom molded plugs, but I read reviews that they shrink after drying and therefore allows more noise in.

Shooting my M1A for the first time was a blast...no pun intended. It didn't kick as hard as I thought it would and the sound wasn't as loud as I thought it'd be...as a shooter that is. Standing next to a friend who was shooting it is a different story. That thing is LOUD.

· Registered
2,378 Posts
You say that your muffs are comfortable, then why use plugs?

Foam I think is best. It expands in the ear canal and block out most of the noise.

· Registered
1,860 Posts
I tried the molded plugs. They just don't block the sound like the simple foam plugs. They are functional for .223 outdoors or rimfire. .308 es No Bueno.

I don't like muffs because they are hot, heavy, bump into my stock, and mess up my hat. :)

· Registered
10,209 Posts
I tried the molded plugs. They just don't block the sound like the simple foam plugs. They are functional for .223 outdoors or rimfire. .308 es No Bueno.

I don't like muffs because they are hot, heavy, bump into my stock, and mess up my hat. :)
The molded plug I have still has a soft foam material insert that goes into the canal. The molded part just gets it all in there nice and snug.

· Registered
1,426 Posts
I've been using surefire ear pro for 7 years now. Foam plugs never want to stay in my ears.
There great for being in the woods when your crawling through thick brush. Also they have that extra extension that fits in your upper ear, you can slightly pull the plug out and have normal hearing again and it won't fall out. When it's time to make noise again just simply push them back in, you don't have to roll them in your fingers and wait for them to expand.
They are only rated to 24db?? I think. But they have worked for me and I got a lot of people hooked on them on sawyer crews that I worked with. for 13-14$ I replace them every 6 months.

· Registered
595 Posts
Try a test fit of the Impact Sport Sound Amplification Electronic Earmuff. One of the great things about these is that I turn them around backwards at the range to amplify voice commands or safety warnings that come from my rear. They work very well!

Leon McKee

· Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,967 Posts

· Registered
248 Posts
I had a set made-poured to my ear around 30 years ago I used to use religiously. At times I'd experiment with those and some David Clark over the head. Worked much better. Wont use the poured anymore. Last November after a range session I had my stuff packed up and pulled them out and couldn't hear. Go figure. Ear Doc said it was more than likely vacuum that caused the hearing loss as they fit very snug. Can't shoot for another 60 days trying to get my hearing back but am using the Sure-Fire most days and they are fabulous. Easily wear them for hours on end and don't get annoying. Will use them and over the head when I get to shoot again.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.