M14 Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I cannot speak to much foreign military ammunition but have fired a good number of recognized, commercial names for rifle and pistol in the US: American Eagle, Blazer, CCI, Federal, Fiocchi, Freedom Munitions, Herters, Hornady, Nosler, Remington, and Winchester.

Of that list I will no longer buy any of the following, for which I have fired at least a hundred rounds of rifle or two hundred rounds of pistol ammunition:
  • American Eagle (always seems to be dirty when new)
  • Blazer (poor consistency)
  • Freedom Munitions (poor consistency lot-to-lot)
  • Nosler (truly a 7 in every box, even off a rest)

For one brand, Hornady, I only avoid the Frontier (poor consistency) and Supermatch (very hot). I love the handful of other loadings I have tried, as well as their bullets.

—-

Edited to add: Life is too short to shoot steel-cased ammunition.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Federal Armament Ammo, also known as FedArms. I ordered 1 case of 9mm ammo from them in 2015, and I had numerous squib loads from their ammo. I contacted them about the issue and they told me they have a no refund policy and wouldn't address the issue.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'll never buy CAVIM again. My M1A would tear the case rim off and it took a cleaning rod to get the case out. That happened twice. I ended up pulling the bullets and putting my powder in, and the rest of the CAVIM fired and ejected fine. I shoot my reloads now and don't have a problem. Use LC brass. It's not Lapua brass but it's easier on the pocket book, and quite tough.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Reloads from Gunbroker. They were supposed to be Match Grade, experienced bla,bla,bla
Half of them would not chamber in my M1-A or REM 700. Threw them away.
I had a dead Aguila primer, I will only use at range.
I would never buy reloads. Had enough problems with it back in the day of good gun shows. I now hand load myself. I also bought a 500 rnd case of Tula .308 never again i never ran it in my M1A'S but i did run it in other rifles i own. was terrible.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looking at the wiiiide ranging experiences some fellows have had with all sorts of ammo from all over the world almost makes me ashamed to mention my one measly experience. That being with both pistol and rifle from PMC. The pistol ammo was 7.65/32 ACP in my CZ 27 and the other was .308 in my M1A. Neither would cycle properly. Fortunately the LGS took the unmolested boxes back for full credit. Surprisingly the .308 brass was the nicest factory brass I have ever seen and reloads very nicely, but the ammo just would not cycle. I'm guessing it's the powder they use in Korea that doesn't have enough oomph to push the slide and/or bolt back. Anyway that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tullamo. Bought 500 rounds, feeds through the Saint Victor, but the AR Pistol refuses to feed. Meh.
What ammo would you not buy again?

I haven't bought Russian ammo in a long time. Hard primers, dirties up chambers, casings create more friction in some mags causing stoppages, more erosive bullets, and I really don't want to support Russia in any way.

Blazer alluminum. Hard primers, casings don't slide against eachother well.

Freedom Munitions steel case.

M80 type fmj 7.62x51. None of it is accurate.
That's what I can think of at the moment.

You?
The polymer coated .223/5.56 stuff. Eventually leads to cases stuck in the chamber. I like it ok in 7.62x39 as these are tapered cases and seem to work just fine. The SK and AK platforms are not accurate enough to mess with match ammo in them anyway. JMHO and YMMV.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I won't run ANY steel cased ammo in .308. The rifle was too expensive to put cheapo ammo in it. As mentioned by others, .22 Remington is not good stuff; the rim primer is the problem. Those .22s have about 1 in 10 that do not fire, but rechamber them where firing pin hits someplace else on the rim, and they go off. Really poor stuff, unless reliability doesn't matter, and you are watching for flinching and jerking when shooting it. I don't like the South African berdan primed brass cased stuff; it shoots fine (I don't know if it's accurate), but I got it mixes up with stuff I was reloading and busted my decapper all to heck and gone. But the polymer coated steel case really leads to trouble in an AR 5.56.

·
Registered
167 Posts
IMI. Got a "deal" on five ammo cans, (7.62 size), of 9mm, figured I was set for life or the zombie apocalypse, what ever came first. Wrong again, Donn. When it fired, it was good, although a bit dirty. The trouble was, more often than not, it didn't. No primer, no flash hole in the cartridge case, little or no powder. Two squibs in a row one range day was enough for me. Gave all five cans to a fellow Chapter member with the requisite warnings.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Aguila .30 Carbine, Perfecta .308 Winchester Soft Point, Turkish MKE in both .308 Winchester and .556 62 grain FMJ to name a few. Never again.

Sadly I have been finding a lot of corrosion on stored Federal .308 Winchester 150 grain Pointed Soft Point, their 9MM 115 grain FMJ and their .45 ACP 230 grain ball ammunition.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Brazilian CBC 7.62
I was spotting for my best friend Scott when this C4 in brass blew up his early M1A scout . Around 1989/1990' a supply of this came into the country
It destroyed a number of HK 91's Fals &
M1A s . SAI even put a warning page about the stuff in the green box paperwork from 1990 or so .
Scott still has about 980 rds left of that crap after all these years , says he'll leave it out in small lots for the enemy to" capture" if we ever have an "uprising" ,
(psychological warfare don't you know) .

Me , I won't shoot any ammo made someplace I won't drink the water

I don't care too much for winchester 22 rimfire ammo either .
Back around early nineties I was at a rifle range shooting my M1a with a bunch of other people when we heard a distinct "poof" several shooters down from my position. A fellow with a M1a had had a blooper round that sooted up his action pretty good. Upon questioning he stated it was factory ammo and it was all he had so he kept shooting said ammo. About twenty minutes later we heard a "kaboom" from same direction. Same rifle had encountered another dud round but this one didn't "poof". This one blew base out of a GI magazine and cartridges were every where on the ground (we were shooting prone), all sooted up, completely black. That ended his day and he went home noticeably shaken. At the time I had picked up one of his cartridges and sure enough it was Brazilian CBC. Avoided that stuff like the plague from that day on. By the way, he sent the rifle back to SA with some cartridges for check up and they found absolutely nothing wrong with the rifle. They did tell him not to shoot anymore of that ammo in his rifle...LOL...

·
Registered
9,737 Posts
Thanks for your story . Once you've witnessed a rifle blowup it leaves a lifetime memory . After Scott's "big boom" he was holding a broken stock , what was left of the rifle was in front of the bench still connected to the sling. The magazine had blew out the bottom a few rds were shrapnel and pieces of it were on the bench .The receiver had broken into two peices . Being 3 ft away the explosion rattled me and it took a few seconds to realize what happened and I asked Scott are you OK ?
He asked if he was bleeding ?
I said No , am I ?
God was surely looking out for him.

Springfield said it was the ammo and weren't responsible but they did replace the rifle at cost for Scott , which I thought more than fair .

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought a few hundred rounds of “professionally” reloaded 6.8 SPC from a company a few years ago that was absolute garbage. I don’t remember the company name off-hand but it wouldn’t cycle more that 1-2 rounds. I struggled the finish off a couple mags then threw the rest in the back closet and never touched it again. Never touched the 6.8 rifle again either for that matter. So i stay away from all reloads.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts