M14 Forum banner

What ammo would you not buy again?

8822 103
What ammo would you not buy again?

I haven't bought Russian ammo in a long time. Hard primers, dirties up chambers, casings create more friction in some mags causing stoppages, more erosive bullets, and I really don't want to support Russia in any way.

Blazer alluminum. Hard primers, casings don't slide against eachother well.

Freedom Munitions steel case.

M80 type fmj 7.62x51. None of it is accurate.
That's what I can think of at the moment.

You?
41 - 60 of 104 Posts

· Registered
16,774 Posts
A 420 round can of Federal XM855 I bought a long time ago was pretty horrid. Ten inch groups from a 16" 1:8 twist barrel- at 60 yards. I thought there was something wrong with the rifle until I tried some Hornady ballistic-tipped rounds and it shot near MOA. First Federal ammunition I've ever had an issue with.
If the headstamp was LC, it wasn't Federal. They were simply disposing of it for Lake City.

· Registered
700 Posts
If the headstamp was LC, it wasn't Federal. They were simply disposing of it for Lake City.
If memory serves, it was stamped LC. Worst stuff I've ever seen, hands down.

· Registered
3,308 Posts
Folks have commented that XM855 and XM80 was shoveled off the floor at Lake City and sold off by Federal. I suspect Winchester is now doing the same thing.

A friend bought a can of the loose M118LR. It was no where near as accurate as FGMM.
Federal sold XM885 packaged in cartons
/stripper clip sleeves and also in bulk. The cartons/sleeves were marked with lot numbers. The bulk ammo had no assigned lot numbers and there was mixed headstamps in the box. I assumed the bulk ammo was not first quality ammo so I did not purchase any. The bulk ammo also had a generally poor appearance.

· Registered
700 Posts
Federal sold XM885 packaged in cartons
/stripper clip sleeves and also in bulk. The cartons/sleeves were marked with lot numbers. The bulk ammo had no assigned lot numbers and there was mixed headstamps in the box. I assumed the bulk ammo was not first quality ammo so I did not purchase any. The bulk ammo also had a generally poor appearance.
The stuff I had was on stripper clips in the sleeves. It could have just been the one rifle didn't like it, but after that kind of performance, I pretty much just set it aside. Still have some of it left, but not much. Maybe one of my other rifles will like it, but I kinda doubt it. I didn't expect it to be accurate stuff, but It should have grouped a lot better than it did.

Reactions: Alexquills

· Registered
3,308 Posts
The stuff I had was on stripper clips in the sleeves. It could have just been the one rifle didn't like it, but after that kind of performance, I pretty much just set it aside. Still have some of it left, but not much. Maybe one of my other rifles will like it, but I kinda doubt it. I didn't expect it to be accurate stuff, but It should have grouped a lot better than it did.
I have pretty low expectations when it comes to M885 ammo accuracy. The construction of the projectile is not conducive to good accuracy and it is only service grade ammo. I saw a presentation of the accuracy of various types of military 5.56 mm ammo shot out of M16‘s, M4’s and Mk 12’s. M885 ammo would barely hold all the shots in an E type target at 300 m. Mk 262 ammo would hold an E type target at 800 m when shot out of a Mk 12 SPR.

My take away was if I am OK with holding 1/2 m at 300 m, M885 ammo is acceptable. If I want better accuracy than that, I need to go with Mk 262 or a comparable cartridge.

· Registered
4,094 Posts
I don't feed my M14 clones anything that is steel cased while my AR style rifles gobble up the Wolf and Tula 5.56. The Wolf and Tula is minute of man for accuracy but has always functioned well for me. I use it when I do a shooting class where I can't recover my brass.

I've shot quite a bit of CAVIM which also always goes bang everytime but is also minute of man for accuracy. The brass makes very good reloads.

I handled some Indian made ammo several years ago with looked really rough. So rough that I didn't put any down range.

I shot some fake LC (chinese) M1 Carbine ammo a few years ago which was corrosive and very inaccurate.

· Registered
10,671 Posts
Remington .22s. Might as well pour Coffee Grounds down the barrel...
KA M2 ball. I bought couple cans of this & none my Garands would run on it.
Funny thing I also bought some on 5 rnd strippers & after loading in enblocks it run the Garands fine. Go Figure...(n)

· Registered
3,149 Posts
That's funny. Never had any Trukish myself, but I went through a Blue Card certification years ago with a bunch of bodyguards from U.S. Surgical. These guys came with brandy new Glocks and plastic bags full of " supplied" Turkish 9mm. All through the classroom part of the course they were laughing at my backup Colt .32. On qualification day it became a whole different story. On the line all these big mouths had trouble with their ammo. Bang, poof, pop and some nothing. Stovepipes and fail to extract among other failures. Never saw so many trying to clear a weapon at the same time. My poor old Colt never missed a beat an made certification without a hitch. After our classroom disassembly, cleaning and re-assembly, there was nothing to blame but the ammo and maybe a few limp wristers in their lineup.
That was special training ammo, clearance drill, and failures built right in at random 🤣

· Registered
10,184 Posts
Brazilian CBC 7.62
I was spotting for my best friend Scott when this C4 in brass blew up his early M1A scout . Around 1989/1990' a supply of this came into the country
It destroyed a number of HK 91's Fals &
M1A s . SAI even put a warning page about the stuff in the green box paperwork from 1990 or so .
Scott still has about 980 rds left of that crap after all these years , says he'll leave it out in small lots for the enemy to" capture" if we ever have an "uprising" ,
(psychological warfare don't you know) .

Me , I won't shoot any ammo made someplace I won't drink the water

I don't care too much for winchester 22 rimfire ammo either .

• Haha
Reactions: 15636215

· Registered
3,269 Posts
Anything made in this century by Lake City, whether sold thru Federal or Winchester.
Anything made by Winchester with the WMA headstamp (excluding RED9 or RED45).
As far as .308/7.62mm goes, I'm done with Lake City, but I'll buy LC 5.56mm ammos, preferring M193 over M855 if I can help it.

I had a case of '70's vintage Santa Barbara that was awful.
When I first got my Socom16, I had 100 rounds of SB... and, yes, it was not that great. Glad it was only 100 rounds.

I also bought 200 rounds of Academy house brand Monarch .308... not knowing it was steel-cased Russkie stuff. That WAS awful, and it blew a 6" flame up out of the Socom brake!

I found 2 50rd bandoliers of '80's era Indian ammos... the bandoliers turned out better than the ammo. It did go bang! and not BOOM! ...so there is that.

In 5.56mm... I had a case of 90's era Norinco yellow box 'M193' ammo, accuracy was nothing to write home about, but the worst thing was about every 5th case neck split on the first firing.

· Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,898 Posts
Yellow tip AP .50 BMG from the Dominican Republic ! They had such varied powder charges it is not funny, the penetrator cores were loose in the projectile and the weights were all over the place.
I don't remember the case head stamp off the top of my head but will post it when I find the box of it I have here, there were reports of it damaging a few Barrett M82's.

eQ

41 - 60 of 104 Posts