M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I have made it my policy to only purchase US manufactured ammo. In the past I have had issues with two types of foreign manufactured ammo. Both were manufactured by reputable companies and some folks swear by them. The first issue was inconsistent cartridge headspace and the second was a blown primer. The blown primer ended up in the trigger group and that was quite an adventure.

I contacted both the distributor and the manufacturer of the ammo with the blown primer and they tried to tell me that the problem was due to a non mil spec chamber. I explained to them that wasn’t the case. The rifle was a Colt M4A1 carbine with a mil spec barrel. The distributor took back the unfired ammo but the manufacturer didn’t do a thing even after I sent them photos and filed out their incident report. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Well it isn’t worth much to post to a thread titled “What Ammo Would You Not Buy Again” and not name the ammo.
As I stated, I avoid all foreign manufactured ammo. I simply do not trust the QC procedures of many foreign manufacturers. My approach is definitely a bit overly conservative but I personally am unwilling to engage in experimentation with something as critical as ammunition.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Folks have commented that XM855 and XM80 was shoveled off the floor at Lake City and sold off by Federal. I suspect Winchester is now doing the same thing.

A friend bought a can of the loose M118LR. It was no where near as accurate as FGMM.
Federal sold XM885 packaged in cartons
/stripper clip sleeves and also in bulk. The cartons/sleeves were marked with lot numbers. The bulk ammo had no assigned lot numbers and there was mixed headstamps in the box. I assumed the bulk ammo was not first quality ammo so I did not purchase any. The bulk ammo also had a generally poor appearance.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
The stuff I had was on stripper clips in the sleeves. It could have just been the one rifle didn't like it, but after that kind of performance, I pretty much just set it aside. Still have some of it left, but not much. Maybe one of my other rifles will like it, but I kinda doubt it. I didn't expect it to be accurate stuff, but It should have grouped a lot better than it did.
I have pretty low expectations when it comes to M885 ammo accuracy. The construction of the projectile is not conducive to good accuracy and it is only service grade ammo. I saw a presentation of the accuracy of various types of military 5.56 mm ammo shot out of M16‘s, M4’s and Mk 12’s. M885 ammo would barely hold all the shots in an E type target at 300 m. Mk 262 ammo would hold an E type target at 800 m when shot out of a Mk 12 SPR.

My take away was if I am OK with holding 1/2 m at 300 m, M885 ammo is acceptable. If I want better accuracy than that, I need to go with Mk 262 or a comparable cartridge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts