M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
A 420 round can of Federal XM855 I bought a long time ago was pretty horrid. Ten inch groups from a 16" 1:8 twist barrel- at 60 yards. I thought there was something wrong with the rifle until I tried some Hornady ballistic-tipped rounds and it shot near MOA. First Federal ammunition I've ever had an issue with.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If the headstamp was LC, it wasn't Federal. They were simply disposing of it for Lake City.
If memory serves, it was stamped LC. Worst stuff I've ever seen, hands down.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Federal sold XM885 packaged in cartons
/stripper clip sleeves and also in bulk. The cartons/sleeves were marked with lot numbers. The bulk ammo had no assigned lot numbers and there was mixed headstamps in the box. I assumed the bulk ammo was not first quality ammo so I did not purchase any. The bulk ammo also had a generally poor appearance.
The stuff I had was on stripper clips in the sleeves. It could have just been the one rifle didn't like it, but after that kind of performance, I pretty much just set it aside. Still have some of it left, but not much. Maybe one of my other rifles will like it, but I kinda doubt it. I didn't expect it to be accurate stuff, but It should have grouped a lot better than it did.

Reactions: Alexquills
1 - 3 of 3 Posts