M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ammo would you not buy again?

I haven't bought Russian ammo in a long time. Hard primers, dirties up chambers, casings create more friction in some mags causing stoppages, more erosive bullets, and I really don't want to support Russia in any way.

Blazer alluminum. Hard primers, casings don't slide against eachother well.

Freedom Munitions steel case.

M80 type fmj 7.62x51. None of it is accurate.
That's what I can think of at the moment.

You?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I feel like most of the ammunition I bought when I was broke junior Enlisted I promised to never buy again. Wolf and Blazer where also two of the worst. Slowly trying to lay in quality 7.62 NATO now to build up for Project Appleseed events.

Although, I had a Mini-30 that loved cheap Bear ammo but it was extremely dirty.

Reactions: Alexquills

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Sellier & Bellot.

Years ago I bought a large quantity of .30-06 for my M1. At 100 yards, the rounds were all over the place. I went down range and discovered they were key-holing. This was odd, because my M1 never did this before. To check, I loaded it in my Remington 742. The round was accurate, but the extractor tore through the rim and left the case stuck in the chamber, requiring a cleaning rod down the bore. Inspection of the cases showed signs of over pressure on the primers. Other people I have talked to have told me that occasionally they get bad batch from S&B. Well, I don't have the time or money for that.

·
Registered
SA precision loaded
216 Posts
Boring answer, but Tula. FTF, FTE, and my extractor peeled the head off the steel case. That was 3 or 4 rounds in.

After cleaning the crap off my bolt, I tossed the rest in the trash.

Never had that problem with Wolf.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Sometime ago assembled a clone of Rigby's Highlander hunting rifle in fabled 275 Rigby caliber (same as 7x57 round) purchased a couple boxes of S&B ammo to reload. Well, shot ok, but upon trying to reload find the base of the case will not fit in the shell holder of my Dillon machine, it is oversize. Have found other American ammunition so back in business. Interesting read on the history of this round for it is the "grandfather" of several modern rounds we how have.
Round was developed in the 1890s and that should be enough time to get all the specifications down enabling a firm to duplicate!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
You couldn't give me any Aguila .22LR. Ditto Remington Golden Bullets .22LR.

I've fired Winchester Forged steel case 9mm in a full auto Uzi and it worked fine but is super dirty and functions inconsistently in a normal semiauto handgun.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I will only feed the battle rifles their usual diets - 7.62 NATO. The match rifles may get some special store-bought sometimes. but mostly handloads of usual specs.- nothing radical.

Reactions: Thrashcompactor

·
Registered
553 Posts
A 420 round can of Federal XM855 I bought a long time ago was pretty horrid. Ten inch groups from a 16" 1:8 twist barrel- at 60 yards. I thought there was something wrong with the rifle until I tried some Hornady ballistic-tipped rounds and it shot near MOA. First Federal ammunition I've ever had an issue with.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I have made it my policy to only purchase US manufactured ammo. In the past I have had issues with two types of foreign manufactured ammo. Both were manufactured by reputable companies and some folks swear by them. The first issue was inconsistent cartridge headspace and the second was a blown primer. The blown primer ended up in the trigger group and that was quite an adventure.

I contacted both the distributor and the manufacturer of the ammo with the blown primer and they tried to tell me that the problem was due to a non mil spec chamber. I explained to them that wasn’t the case. The rifle was a Colt M4A1 carbine with a mil spec barrel. The distributor took back the unfired ammo but the manufacturer didn’t do a thing even after I sent them photos and filed out their incident report. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Admittedly I will buy anything I can reload I find it will usually work in something I have if it's reloadable. Won't buy any steel cased Russian or any other. But I did get a bunch of Russian Steelcase 22lr that was better than some of the match stuff I had. It was a very dirty burn very messy. The truncated Remington 22lr never would buy that again.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts