M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, my facetiousness aside, I don't know anything about DOE m14s.

And with shipping it evens out to a smooth $36,070!

He does say his is #38, I don't see any mention of #36 directly, but he does say #29 has been "seen" by a credible source.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
from what ive heard the only select fire uncut m14's to get out of the militaries hands were the ones given to the DOE and the number of those are very small. all the other GI select fire m14's out there floating around have receivers that were put back to working order buy welding saw cut receivers back together. If I was any more obsessed about m14's Id sell my house use the equity to buy that TRW, it is a very rare m14 indeed. I was day dreaming today while doing my route thinking about that rifle you mentioned lol
BTW he has it listed on gunbroker as well. Im surprised there isnt some rich m14 fanatic out there that hasnt snagged this up by now. I know i would if i was rich

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
I'm thinking my wife would probably have a little conniption fit, divorce me and then shoot me square in the head if I ever brought something like home.

It'd certainly be nice to just be able to have that kind of spending cash on hand though.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
from what ive heard the only select fire uncut m14's to get out of the militaries hands were the ones given to the DOE and the number of those are very small. all the other GI select fire m14's out there floating around have receivers that were put back to working order buy welding saw cut receivers back together. If I was any more obsessed about m14's Id sell my house use the equity to buy that TRW, it is a very rare m14 indeed. I was day dreaming today while doing my route thinking about that rifle you mentioned lol
BTW he has it listed on gunbroker as well. Im surprised there isnt some rich m14 fanatic out there that hasnt snagged this up by now. I know i would if i was rich
Don't forget the HRA museum rifles that were sold in 1986, some unfired and some oddball prototypes. Or the one TRW NM in civilian hands, since it was factory assembled as a semi ATF ruled it legal.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Don't forget the HRA museum rifles that were sold in 1986, some unfired and some oddball prototypes. Or the one TRW NM in civilian hands, since it was factory assembled as a semi ATF ruled it legal.
I can only imagine what that would go for! No doubt nearly as much as a Class III M14.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I thought trw made 2 semi auto only rifles but either way you or I are only off by one. Ive often wondered where that one or two trw rifles are these days. Im surprised they or it hasnt popped up on one of the gun auction sites in recent years. Id bet they would fetch as much as one of the cut/welded class 3 m14's sell for

·
Registered
132 Posts
In 1965-70, your friends and neighbors would send a real nice letter to you ripping you from your Mothers bosom and ordering an appearance at a real nice reception center. In a short time you would be at a really sandy area of the US where some guys who shouted a lot at you would allow you rarely, to really fire your favorite rifle on automatic. Way overrated in my humble opinion. You would then be sent to a tropical country where if you were really having a bad day there would be no auto fire because each shot had to count because the chopper couldn't get in with water and ammo. No $35,000 auto rifle for me, even if I had the $$.
Maxepay

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
In 1965-70, your friends and neighbors would send a real nice letter to you ripping you from your Mothers bosom and ordering an appearance at a real nice reception center. In a short time you would be at a really sandy area of the US where some guys who shouted a lot at you would allow you rarely, to really fire your favorite rifle on automatic. Way overrated in my humble opinion. You would then be sent to a tropical country where if you were really having a bad day there would be no auto fire because each shot had to count because the chopper couldn't get in with water and ammo. No $35,000 auto rifle for me, even if I had the $$.
Maxepay
its not the auto fire that makes it so desirable, to me anyway. The value i see in it is its an uncut GI receiver which is about as rare in civilan hands as unicorns are on the prarie but i do agree that for my income anyway its too expensive for just one rifle but if i made more id buy it

·
Registered
269 Posts
Maxepay
I tend to agree. If you look at 'Nam pics you rarely see a selector switch on an M14. Having fired one on full auto once at Knob Creek I can see why (in fairness I DID hit a steel wheel out there a few times but was firing bursts and the first one set me back on my heels until I adjusted my weight forward a bit).

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I had the pleasure of firing a real M14 both semi and full auto. They told us to aim at the guy's feet if you want to hit him on full auto. The 14 should have been designed semi only,then we could all own a real one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts