M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to babysit my 8 y.o. Grandson today, So I thought I would take him to town for a doughnut at the bakery, Then head out to a local Tractor swap meet not far from the house,.... First I scored a box of M2 Ball ammo and a NOS 'Red Head" recoil pad for $5.00...... But then I was walking along and seen this sitting on a table with a Crosman V-350 BB Gun,...... From 10 feet away it looked just like a 1903 Springfield,... But on closer inspection, It wasn't a gun at all,.... It was a big dummy !

Yep !, A "Dummy Training Rifle",.... I vaguely remembered something about these,... So after laughing about it, I made him a offer for this and the BB gun,.... He looked at me, then the guns,... then me again,... scratched his chin and bumped the price, I looked at him and said "well I tried" but what I offered is all I was willing to give him. His hand fell from his chin and his open palm was facing me,..... I counted him out the money, picked up these two odd-ducks and continued on my way.

Not until I got home did I noticed the butt plate, that told the story,... I set a 1903 next to it for these pictures, The sling was on it when I got it, and yes, A 1903 Bayonet fits right on it...... I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, But it's a cool conversation item....

Enjoy !

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Wasent there a gross shortage of issue rifles when the US entered WWI? I read an article in American Rifleman about how some units were even using broomsticks for manual of arms training.

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Just an FYI,several years ago I sold a few of the plastic bayos when construction went dead,and they each sold in the $350 range. NO LIE GI. If you're a serious collector,you may want to consider this one,,mods it's not mine,no affiliation with the seller.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131241135072?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Just be sure to ask seller if there are ANY chips on the blade,or any cracks on the barrel loop.They DO break easily.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My addiction to the real thing is bad enough,.... As far as this dummy is concerned, It stays a conversation item, or trade fodder for somebody that just has to have one.....

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Mark 1 U.S.N training rifle. Probably used for manual of arms drill and parades during boot camp.

They didn't like to give us Sailors real rifles!

·
Registered
213 Posts
My dad and I came across one of these a few years back. I had no idea what it was and passed it over. Now I feel like a total dick. Nice score!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I went to Great Lakes right out of high school in July 62 and was in company 325. They issued us real 1903 Springfields that we drilled and did the 96 count manual with on the grinder. Our 03's had the firing pins removed so that we couldn't shoot our company commander, at least that's what ours, BMC Chrisman told us. By late Nov 62 I was enroute to the Orient for my first ten month Westpac out of the three I made.

7th

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
I have to think ours were real like Seventh Fleet mentioned.

There was one company which was a parade company. I think they might have had the dummy rifles as theirs seemed atleast two pounds lighter then ours. Our sights were forward & theirs were aft.I suspect our barrels were pinned also as we only wiped the rifles down every evening, never ran a rod threw the barrel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.