M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to get a few more mags for my SAI Milspec 1911 and my CMP Colt.

Are CMI 1911 mags any good. Any others I should look at?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
None, because I can't wrap my head around the fact they want me to get a permission slip, and be taxed fees, for a right I already have.

Wilson Combat are some of the best in reliability. Dan Wessons are supposedly not bad, and I think Chip McCormic makes good ones too.

Wish I was of better help.

·
Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
592 Posts
Most of my 1911 mags have CMC Shooting Stars on them because they just work. I also have Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, and Colt mags that all do their job reliably. I have Mec-Gar and Tripp Research mags for my 9mm 1911s.

Reactions: 1100 tac

·
Registered
223 Posts
Everyone has their own favorite and harsh words have been exchanged on forums debating which one is best. The most often referenced are from Wilson, McCormick, Tripp, Metalform, and Check-Mate.

I have used them all in almost 50 years of carrying 1911s professionally and for fun. They all have strengths and weaknesses. They all work.

My personal favorite for the past decade or so is the Check-Mate 8 round, extended tube, hybrid feed lip, removable baseplate, CMI follower mag. Some years ago I ran a 5,000 round feeding test using magazines from all the manufacturers listed above and others, factory ammo (FMJ, JHP) from all the major manufacturers, my own HG68 style reloads, and a dozen 1911s of all sizes from Colt and Springfield as well as my own home built ones. At the end of the test the results were conclusive. The 8 round Check-Mates fed when none of the others would and they fed noticeably more smoothly. But they're not for everyone. Be thankful we have a mostly free market economy and can pic from a wide variety of products.

Thunder Mountain is a veteran owned business that sells magazines from Tripp, Metalform, and Check-Mate. Excellent prices and super fast shipping. I highly recommend Mike.

Top Gun Supply also sells mags from Mec-Gar and Wilson.

If you want GI looking 7 round mags with the GI tapered feed lips your choices are few. Check-Mate makes them but I don't care for them. I leave it up to others to make recommendations for GI mags.

I like 8 round mags. The very best 8 round mags (in my experience) are the TMC Ultimate mags that utilize the Check-Mate 8 round magazine tube with the Tripp follower and spring. They are completely tuned and deburred. The only reason I don't have 50 of these is because they hadn't yet been invented when I did my 5,000 round test.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I use 8rd Wilson or McCormick mags, however Wilson bought out McCormick just before McCormick passed away so they're all the same now. -Lloyd 🍺

Reactions: Got Colt

·
Registered
59 Posts
Another vote for Wilson and Shooting Star mags (unless 9mm or 38 super, then I only use Wilson). Those used to be all I used until Ed Brown had their mag exchange program (send any brand 1911 mag +$10 and they send you one of theirs). I have used the ed browns a few times, seem good but my main goal with the exchange program was to get rid of all the junk mags I had accumulated.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I use the OEM mags, Chip McCormick, Wilson and some knockoff milsurp mags. All work.

I also have a few SS Randall mags full length mags left from when I had a LeMay model Randall.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Chip passed away about 3 or so years ago. A few months before his passing I read an article in GOA, and American Rifleman, that Wilson bought out his entire stock. Wilson made the announcement of the purchase. I imagine that Wilson will sell the stock as McCormick, as my Chip McCormick mags are stamped with his logo, just repackaged and marketed by Wilson. Beyond that I'm not sure what other product or tooling was involved with the sale. -Lloyd 🥃

1 - 20 of 48 Posts