M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are tons of threads on the web about how pretty brass is when it's wet tumbled with SS media. I understand how clean the primer pockets get, how it could be easier on dies or to inspect your cases.

HOWEVER, I have yet to see anyone do a review in regards to accuracy. Is wet tumbling, and the fuss/time/initial $ outlay improve your group size?

Anyone out there took brass that weighed the same, wet tumbled some, not on the other stuff and loaded it up with the same care and looked at the outcomes?

I can see how in theory, cleaner cases could improve your data, and also keep your chamber cleaner. What about neck tension?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
This would only matter with an ultra match tuned gun, with perfectly symmetrical ammunition and where you're looking for that nth piece of accuracy.

It's like turning case necks on water weighed cases with concentric case mouths with perfect bullets and hand weighed powder charges and match primers inserted in match prepared primer pockets from a rifle that's mounted in a shooting vise. Then it MIGHT make a difference at 1000 yards from a perfectly set up M14.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in the "more labor, more mess" camp. I will give any wet tumbler that it is pretty-

I don't shoot 7.62 brass past about 6 firings ever (less in a m14). Generally my primer pockets are done at 5-6x, removing more carbon and crap from those pockets might make them less snug, earlier in the cycle.

If your a wet tumber, and you have seen improvement in groupings (especially if you can attribute it to better neck tension)…I would love to hear from you regarding how you load.

Does not have to be a 14 type either…any rifle. Just curious as to the measurable improvement.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Nope, by the time I size, deprime, swage, trim and wash the brass, then reload, all I want to do is shoot something; So I have never bothered to see if the wet tumbling improved accuracy. I do doubt that the wet tumbling by itself has any real impact on accuracy, but it may help some of the things that do impact accuracy such as clean primer pockets and flash holes, etc.

P.S., I do wet tumble everything and actually find it easier than corncob or other media and I rarely ever have any stuck pins; so I am a big fan of wet tumbling using SS pins. There is just something right about having a nice clean, new looking cartridge when all is done.

Reactions: neiltus

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
Since I don't use a SS tumbler I'm out of the game but I'd be interested in seeing what others have to say.

Reactions: TheShooter

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I am fairly new into this whole wet tumbling and sonic cleaner.

I used the regular tumbler for 5-6 years. Now I am all SS pins. I did for a short while use the sonic cleaner I got mine from harbor freight. I could never get a formula down to get good clean brass. One thing I hated about the sonic cleaner was I could only put around 30 308 cases or 50 223 cases.

The Harbor freight rotary tumbler is way better...
http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-drum-rotary-rock-tumbler-67632.html

I can easily get over 100 308's and 200 223's inside each drum. I fill up the drums with clean water put in 3 or 4 drops of dawn dish soap and very LITTLE lemon shine. You need to be very careful with the lemon shine as it can turn your cases pink (very BAD) If you use to much. That was another problem I had with my sonic cleaner my brass would almost alaways turn pink. with the Rotary drums no pink brass at all. It cleans the primer pockets and it cleans the inside of the cases. They are just as clean as Winchester unfired brass.
I let them tumble in the pins for a couple hours and then I got brand new looking super clean brass. You will have to find a way to dry the cases. I made a Hammock out of pair of blue jeans put the cases inside it tie it shut and throw them in the dryer for around 1 hour and they come out dry and shiny. But you will have to resize only the necks as they will be knocked out of round because of the banging around. I will upload photos of my set up for you guys soon.

In fact the guys on AR-15 forum especially dry flash3 he has uploaded a lot of SS pins photos Just read this thread it gets updated almost every day. Lots of good pictures, 20 pages!
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/367311_Wet_tumbling_on_the_cheap___Yes___It_can_be_done_with_a_Harbor_Freight_Tumbler_.html&page=18

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/344986_How_i_built_my_own_rotary_tumbler.html
Do not fear the SS Pins they are perfect for cleaning your dirty brass!!!

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
There are tons of threads on the web about how pretty brass is when it's wet tumbled with SS media. I understand how clean the primer pockets get, how it could be easier on dies or to inspect your cases.

HOWEVER, I have yet to see anyone do a review in regards to accuracy. Is wet tumbling, and the fuss/time/initial $ outlay improve your group size?

Anyone out there took brass that weighed the same, wet tumbled some, not on the other stuff and loaded it up with the same care and looked at the outcomes?[
/B]

I can see how in theory, cleaner cases could improve your data, and also keep your chamber cleaner. What about neck tension?

These are questions you will have to answer your self. If you want to go cheap on cleaning your brass then you can if you want to dump in extra money with the pins then that is up to you. I will speak for my self and say since I love hand loading my own ammo and spending hours loading up very small amounts of ammo on my single stage CO-AX I don't mind doing it at all. If you want to pump out hundreds of rounds an hour then dry tumbling is probably better suited for you. I strongly disagree with those who would say it is a waste of time to clean your cases at all. Would you use dirty oil in your Dodge charger? I know I wouldn't.
Either way Dry tumbling worked perfect before the pins came out... So the choice is up to you. GI1

Reactions: neiltus

·
Registered
851 Posts
I don't know about getting more accuracy with SS tumbling as I have not really noticed anything out of the ordinary. I will say that I do find it easier to inspect brass that has been wet tumbled in SS. After it is rinsed and dried it looks brand new. Cracks, scratches, dents, deformities and the like are much easier to spot.
I also like the fact that the finished rounds look new.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
The only thing I use the wet tumbling for is range pick up brass that is so tarnished the dry vibratory walnut shell cleaner won't work on. A few hours in the water/lemishine and SS pins and it looks like new.

Then I add the brass to the next batch of brass to be resized/deprimed/loaded.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I find..

my stainless works much faster than the corncob-walnut vibratory method. It also makes the brass look more like "new" inmho. 1 to 2 hours in wet vs. 3-4-5 in dry to approach the same state of clean...and then theres primer holes.

Just finished 2000 once fired LC cases...I have found 2-3 with stuck pins...simple dowel push and pull the pins with needle noses makes them right. I like it a lot! I tend to warehouse cases until I get a bunch and then do a week or so of reloading. Works for me ..your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I've only used wet tumbling with the SS pins, so I can't compare with dry tumbling. The case always come out bright and shiny, (Lemi-shine stains the case so I don't use that) and the only consumables are soap and water. I like that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My two cents....

Rifle or handgun, I de-cap first, then wet tumble in my homemade rig (sewer pipe, old motor, engineering rod, etc.), perform all case prepping steps, then corn cob polish just prior to reloading. Makes everything brilliantly shiny. Does it make anything more accurate? Doubt it. Does it add time to the loading process? Yup. Will I continue to use both methods? Yeah. Re. wet tumbling.....I will say that I do like the fact that the cases and pockets, inside and out, are spotlessly clean before any of my equipment see's it -- other than the Lee Universal De-Capping die of course.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts