M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Anyone planning on doing business with West Texas Armory
should definately do some research before spending any money. Don't ask me how I know that.PEODGIF
I have no personal experience with West Texas Armory but I have been on several gun boards with people that have. Like Captain America said I would Google their name and see what came up and also hit the other gun boards and do a search of that name.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Last I had heard from Dan at WTA, was that he was no longer doing work as he was concentrating on his farm. I believe that was back around Katrina time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Clayton built three .308 Garands for me before he joined the Marines. I still have one and will always have at least that one. He does great work...

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Last I heard ...

Neither of them ... were doing 'anything' any longer ...

Clayton "used to do" super work from what I remember long back ...

I don't know about now ....

Six

·
Registered
163 Posts
As of about a year ago, Dan at WTA was still working. Note on his website says he isn't now.

He did some work for me on an M1A. During the pre-Obama panic time the best I could come up with was a California-spec M1A with a black poly stock. Dan converted it to a more normal config for me.

Looks beautiful (the gang at the local gun shop were drooling), shoots good.

He was slow as Christmas & then some, but the work was done well.

You see a lot of cutsie comments when WTA comes up, but they are long on cryptic hints and really short on specifics. If you ask me, anybody who won't let it all hang out is playin' games. Don't give me this "do a search" crap - tell me straight up what the beef is or shut up.

For the record, same thing goes for Fulton Armory. They did an M1 Garand for me back in the late 80's - looks good, shoots fine, never a lick of trouble. I'd take that puppy in harms way & not have a doubt. Lots of people do the long on cryptic hints and really short on specifics whine about FA, too. Like WTA, the only complain I can honestly make is slow as Christmas.

Funny thing, I'm 51 & never yet dealt with a gunsmith - good or bad - who wasn't. Nature of the beast, I suppose.

If that's too blunt for ye, well excuse an old retired CPO, huh...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just my .02 ,

I have had no problems with WTA. In fact he invited me to his ranch to personally build my rifle after many long conversations via phone and email. I took him up on the offer and I did all the labor on building my rifle with his instructions. Im glad I went. I originally had an Armscorp receiver, he found a serious safety bridge flaw. He called LRB, talked to Lou and had a receiver overnighted to his ranch (after I paid for it) so we could complete the build. He bought the Armscorp from me and said he would take care of the flaw with Armscorp himself. Not sure what the outcome is.

Despite what the "Inturnetz" says about him, He's a good man in my book.

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
Dan at WTA did a park job on two pistols of mine and accurized two M1As. The work he did on the guns was excellent but he wore out my patience with excuse after excuse on the delays. It took a year and a half to get my rifles finished. And I never did get the spare parts kit I paid for. I think my guns were some of the last he did for anyone except maybe some local LEOs.

Dan and his wife were always real nice folks. IMHO, he just had too many irons in the fire and couldn't take care of business. Great smith, poor businessman.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Don't give me this "do a search" crap - tell me straight up what the beef is or shut up.
Bill:

I assume you're referring to my earlier post where I suggested doing a search. My main reason for posting was that the original poster had the the two companies mixed up, which he later corrected.

I have no personal experience with WTA. I have, however, read a lot of complaints about them. These complaints may be without merit but there sure are a lot of them. One other forum even has an entire subforum dedicated to the problems with them.

I didn't think it was appropriate to post a link to the other forum, nor did I think it was appropriate to list issues here. But I did think a "heads up" was in order.

Thanks,
Cass

·
Registered
163 Posts
I assume you're referring to my earlier post where I suggested doing a search.
Not you particularly, but that seems to be the general MO when people are beefing about either WTA or FA. When you ask for specifics, they get all coy & cryptic.

I believe there was one board out there, "battlerifles.com" or something like that, where the head honcho has a serious beef with Dan & Dan has his own side of the story. The site in question won't let you read it unless you register, and I don't register anyplace until after I lurk a bit to see if it's my kinda place, so I never read it first hand. However, a lot of the "smoke" seems to originate there (aside from just being slow).

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, this post was meant to be positive. Clayton Smith is a good M14 armorer and I will try to call him on Monday to see what's up. I'll post back here with word.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wta

It's Been over 6 years now, I sent Dan O'Neil $2000.00 for a Rifle....
Does Anyone know how to reach him now?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts