M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to add an M14 to my collection. I'd like to buy one with an authentic USGI barrel, but I'm very concerned about what I've heard about chrome flaking, heavy usage, etc. Therefore, I'm only interested in a USGI bbl that I can be verifiably certain has been either unused or very lightly used. I'm a bit wary of buying a barrel claimed to be in good condition since I've heard of the difficulty in verifying that claim (If I'm wrong about this please let me know)

I'm thinking about getting a Springfield M1A from when they were made with all USGI parts. However, does anyone know what condition USGI barrels Springfield used in their installs? Were they used take off barrels, or were they completely unused when Springfield installed them? Or was it a mixture of both?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe that SA only used new USGI parts in their builds.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
SA used GI barrels that were military surplus. Most were used and many were imported back from Israel. I have never seen any that were not serviceable on new M1A rifles.

·
Registered
10,910 Posts
The ones I've seen from about '96 thru '03 were brand new, not a mark on them inside or out. Not sure about earlier ones.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Look at the barrel on the rifle. If it shows the standard marks indicating it was proof fired when manufactured then it is a takeoff barrel. You can inspect the chamber for flaking chrome, that's not difficult to do. I don't believe there ever was a sufficient quantity available of brand new, original GI barrels to fully meet the requirements of SAI production, not at any time during their existence.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts