M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the local public range and took my two daughters and wife out for a day of shooting with a pick nick lunch, and everyone had a Blast, in spite of it being a little cold with some wind.

We shot various pistols, but the highlight was by far my new M-14, only the second time I've shot it. My 18 year old daughter was afraid to shoot it at first, but after watching me for awhile, worked up the nerve to part with the Glock 19 for a while and try it. Maybe that wasn't such a smart idea, because we fought over who got to shoot it next from that point on.

She fell in love with it immediately! I think girls like the feeling of something powerful in their hands. Every shot from the M-14 caused the metal poles that held up the roof over us to reverberate. In combination with the stiff recoil and watching each round hit the berm 200 yards out with a large puff of dust, completely unaffected by the wood and paper target between us and it, was awe inspiring for her. She was done with the Glock after that.

We had a terrific day, and the first thing she did after leaving the range was to text and call all her friends and brag about what she shot today.

What a fantastic weapon!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Welcome Vibration. I see by your profile that your a self proclaimed "computer geek" so pics for you should be childsplay. We love pics here. I think you will find a great group here and a wealth of knowlege for your new rifle.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NorCal. It's great to see that shooting is a family experience with you and yours. It's even better to see that your daughter is so into it. There are years of threads here and a great group of folks willing to help/discuss just about anything surrounding our great sport. Pull up a chair and stay awhile.

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
Welcome aboard, Vibration, I love to hear the stories about new shooters especially when it's family. GI2 I do have a solution to your problem though, buy another M14. GI2GI2 I know you will enjoy the forums and being here with us, have fun.

-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome aboard, Vibration, I love to hear the stories about new shooters especially when it's family. GI2 I do have a solution to your problem though, buy another M14. GI2GI2 I know you will enjoy the forums and being here with us, have fun.

-
Yeah, that's what she said.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Next time we go to the range, my daughter and I are going to put together a YouTube video of the event, and I'll post it here when we do.

GO NAV1
GO ARMY1

·
Administrator
17,747 Posts
Research, still the only game in town......

Welcome on board Vibration, pull up an old ammo crate and sit awhile. This here Gun Board is a great place for information on M14/M1A Rifles and Military Surplus Ammunition. Again welcome aboard and have yourself a great week Sir.

The 10 Golden Rules of Ammo:

1) You can never have too much ammo on hand. 1k rounds per battle rifle is a good minimum to start with (fubar).
2) Supplies of good surplus run out before you know it, and usually when you're running low on ammo so buy plenty while its available.
3) When in doubt about how much ammo you should buy, refer to rule #1.
4) Ammo is meant to be shot, so shoot often.
5) Because of rule #4, ammo must be replenished often as well.
6) When replenishing supply of ammo, refer to rules #1 through #3.
7) You must buy at least twice as much ammo as you shoot (fubar).
8) Always store ammo in a cool dry place (TEA). The only time you have to much ammo on hand is when you have a house fire(Slick).
9) If you don't have room in your house to store ammo per rule #8, build a bunker or a cellar in your back yard for storing ammo (TEA).
10) Friends don't let friends buy Indian surplus ammo (TEA). Or Never buy surplus ammo from a country where you wouldn't drink the water (midrat).

I spend a lot of time out at the Shooting Park out behind the Double Eagle Two Airport. I spend Wednesday's mornings, it's the best for me, less people for the most part. I'm happy to read that you take the whole family, that's great. I hope that we can run across each other in the future and do some shooting together (M1A's).

Some of my postings on the Westside range can be found here.

Plus where to buy good military surplus ammunition.

Good luck on the range Vibration.DI5

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome on board Vibration, pull up an old ammo crate and sit awhile.
Sure will, thanks.

I spend a lot of time out at the Shooting Park out behind the Double Eagle Two Airport.
Yep, that's where I was, last Saturday.

I hope that we can run across each other in the future and do some shooting together (M1A's).
Absolutely! I saw from your profile you're a long range shooter. Maybe you could give me some pointers on zeroing my new rifle.

Looking forward to meeting up with you at the range sometime.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts