M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some buds together to shoot pistols today out in the woods, NFS land where shooting areas had been set up. I spent time setting up targets and we rotated through everything from .22 pistol, .38 special, .357 up to .454 Casull.

I noticed someone had left some yellow canisters, each about the size of a water pitcher, out on a berm about 100 yards away. I felt that such canisters presented an imminent threat that needed to be dealt with.

So, I pulled out the M1a, shooting offhand, took about five rapid shots to dispatch the first canister. As it rolled down the berm, I hit it a few more times to make sure it got the message. Then I turned my attention to the second evil canister, raised the rifle and fired. It popped up into the air on the first shot.

This felt good, the kind of shooting that I like to do, to reach out and touch something. I will go to the range and punch some paper holes. But sometimes it feels good to go out and lay down the law.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
I 'll often buy a case of clays I found they make good targets for shoot offs like you had today, and it's easy to tell that you hit them . Lot's of fun shooting with your friends.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
it is just plain fun to teach canisters, jugs, and bottles what areas are not safe to sit in. Shooting is much fun, but it just gets better when you are with some friends you trust that are safe to be around when armed, and strike up a competition or challenge . I once had some nine-ball game targets that my brother and I had a blast with. Golf balls and marbles are 2 more targets I enjoy. Challenging and reactive target items put paper group shooting to shame with raw fun, but paper can teach and show us what is wrong and how to get better, sometimes.
It has been to hot here lately to do much shooting, so I have just been catching up on repairs, maintenance, and mods while waiting on friendlier weather.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
There's nothing like some positive feedback! [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7yyI0k4dEU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7yyI0k4dEU[/ame]

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,200 Posts
I like 1 gallon paint cans [cleaned out of course] full of water with the lids on!
Its fun to watch that go about 100 feet in the air, best one I ever hit was with a .22-250 with 50gn HP's at about 3800fps. The can peals open like a flower and the lid turns in to a bowl but a 308 win out of a M14/M1A does a good job too!

Casey

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always enjoy Hickok45... he does fun shooting! I am going to work on clay pigeon target setup... I got a 1/2 inch steel hanging target, Haven't used it yet. I am afraid of shooting holes in it, but we'll see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts