M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Brings back memories of my trainer orientation flight. Except I stayed in the airplane.

·
Administrator
17,258 Posts
I believe that he received the premium senior package on the flight and landing!

Reactions: High Hat

·
Registered
804 Posts
Noticed it stated that due to a malfunction the pilot was not ejected and was able to land the jet. Guess if no malfunction then it would have crashed with the pilot also ejected from the craft.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Noticed it stated that due to a malfunction the pilot was not ejected and was able to land the jet. Guess if no malfunction then it would have crashed with the pilot also ejected from the craft.
Yeah, two major errors on the pilot's part:

1) He did not properly brief the passenger on what not to touch in the cockpit, and
2) He did not set the ejection mode properly. Normally it two seat aircraft, you can set the ejection seats to fire in three different modes: front seat initiated, rear seat initiated, and independent ejection. It should have been set in the front seat initiated mode, so if the pilot initiates an ejection, it fires the rear seat first, in this mode, if the rear seat initiates and ejection just the rear seat is ejected.

Apparently, this aircraft was in the rear seat initiation mode, so the backseat had control over the ejection. So half a second after the backseat left the aircraft the MDC (miniature detonating cord) shattered the pilot's canopy, but the seat catapult didn't fire. So the pilot had to land a convertable Rafale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts