M14 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I tore apart several thousand rounds after a flood a couple of years ago. I destroyed two of those kinetic pullers. One RCBS and one Lyman. Both were pretty old.
I bought a hornady collet puller and used it for all the rifle but the pistol still had to be removed banging concrete.
Both styles of pullers have there place. The collet does not work real well on non jacketed and plated bullets.
Op is correct when they come apart they sent pieces to never never land.
The thing I remember most though was the 357 self defense rounds. I had a box of 50 that were Remington with the a exposed lead hollow point where the jacket wrapped around it like a star. I don’t remember exactly what they were. About the third hit on the floor would sling the lead core out and leave the copper jacket stuck in the brass. About every third one would do it.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Been there, done that. The final blow, so to speak, was the 100+ .45-70's I had to pull, each with a pretty generous crimp. It made it about 3/4 of the way before self-destructing... but I think I got my money's worth... it was about 20 years old.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
That looks pretty slick and is less dough than buying the other style and having to buy several collets at $25 a pop. Does it leave marks on the bullets?
If you do not keep constant pressure ;; you can shave the bullet;; if you need 15 lbs of squeeze pressure to pull the bullet;; and you drop down to 10 lbs on the next ; it will shave the bullet.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I handload for the 25 Remington too. I have a Remington Model 14 (took my first deer with it) that belonged to my granddad. I have "manufactured" 25 rem cases by necking down 30 remington and trimming the cases. You can also get new brass from Graf & Sons here in Missouri. Here is the link: 25 Remington - Rifle Brass - Metallic Reloading - Graf & Sons
Grafs is where I got mine, so far looks good, no problems after 3 loadings. I shoot mine in a Remington Model 8 "assault rifle", LOL That is how WA sees it, must do a 10 day wait to bring home.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If you do not keep constant pressure ;; you can shave the bullet;; if you need 15 lbs of squeeze pressure to pull the bullet;; and you drop down to 10 lbs on the next ; it will shave the bullet.
Their website says no damage to bullets, but I see in the comments section that some users had some damage. I think as you say it requires a certain amount of finesse, getting used to it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Was pulling some bullets today and while trying to pull some light .25 cal bullets from tight cases, this happened. Felt part of it bounce off my chest just before it went into orbit, spent a few minutes looking for the remains, then gave up.
Irks me to lose the case though, hard to come by .25 Remington case.
View attachment 452292
a couple of times but usually the aluminum POS mandrill goes to sh---. RCBS has been real good at replacing everytime.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Their website says no damage to bullets, but I see in the comments section that some users had some damage. I think as you say it requires a certain amount of finesse, getting used to it.
Insert a piece of foam in the bottom to cushion bullets. It worked for me.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Broke mine a couple days ago ( bottom par) and ordered a new one yesterday. This will be my 4th(?) one over 30 years. Others broke on the cap, or on the top part below the cap. Different manufacturers. Yea I do have the RCBS collet puller and use that too.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Broke mine a couple days ago ( bottom par) and ordered a new one yesterday. This will be my 4th(?) one over 30 years. Others broke on the cap, or on the top part below the cap. Different manufacturers. Yea I do have the RCBS collet puller and use that too.
The RCBS bullet puller will spoil people vs inertia puller!

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
+1 on the RCBS puller+collet. Years ago, I had some click-bang rounds I loaded for my M1G. BLC2 and 150fmj as I remember..... I lightly crimp all my gas gun loads. I disintegrated 2 inertia hammers before I finally broke down and bought the RCBS rig. Many years later, I have collected all the collets I need for loading the various calibers I reload.....
Best move I ever made.
As long as the collet is gripping on the bearing surface of the bullet - no marks. If it's gripping above the ogive, I have found that it will leave a compression ring on the tip of the bullet.....seems every time I have to pull dummy/press setup 55g 5.56 this happens.
But then again.....I'm hard on hammers too....
S-

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
One more thought on the collet pullers you might consider -
I set mine up on either my T-7 or rockchucker press.
I had a buddy try my puller on his progressive press, and he bent 'something' on his press.....
As much 'push' that it takes to separate the bullet from it's perch, especially with crimps or tight neck tension, I would recommend using a single stage press with the collet rig.
Happy pulling!
S-

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
My only press is a Rock Chucker II. If I get anything it will probably be the GripNPull tool mentioned earlier. Seems like the way to go as I dont use a puller often, and one tool covers several calibers and two tools will cover it all, no collets to mess with or buy at over $25 a pop.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Rcbs collet is the way to go for pulling down mass amounta of ammo. Grip n pull ruins your bullets.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It sounds like any and all methods can if not careful damage bullets. I have a spare inertia puller, they dont damage bullets.
I dont often need to pull bullets, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis. Stay thirsty.. my friends.....

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
FWIW... I had a bullet "Cold Weld" itself into case.

Virgin 44Mag Nickled case, Hornady 300gr XTP... I had set it up as a dummy round for the dies.

I was going to try and reuse the case and bullet ( in those, I am cheap days ) , so I setup the inertia puller , did everything I should ... and beat the ever living he_l out of it....

The lead core started coming out of the XTP jacket... but the bullet jacket would not budge. It still hasn't. I have the dummy round on the shelf as a reminder.

Took years before I figured out what had happened ( prior to the internet )

And as it turns out... you can create the same / similiar issue if you Ultra Sonic clean your cases, and fail to lube the inside of the neck. The ultra sonic cleaning makes the case necks far to squeaky clean. Or very close to it.

Ultrasonic Cleaning, Case-Neck Friction and Bullet Seating « Daily Bulletin

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
For the ones that dont move right away, put them in the seating die on the press and pop the seal by seating just a little deeper.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I broke a Lyman inertia puller a few months ago. Snapped the top off. Found out that after a couple of whacks, the top nut can become loose. Lyman replaced the top nut. I now stop after a couple of whacks and check the top and re-tighten. It does loosen and likely caused the breakage. I only use the inertia for a couple of pulldowns.

For a collet puller, I like the Hornady. It has a lever that flips and tightens. When set properly, it's really fast. I prefer it to the older RCBS type of collet puller that you screw down.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts