M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And finally got a scope to teach me ranging, holdover, etc etc. Just ordered a Bushnell Elite 4200 FFP 3-12x, mildot with 1/10 mil adjustments (423124F). Up until now, I've just been using a duplex reticle on a Sightron SII 4-16. I sold that to a friend for her hunting rifle a put the money towards the bushnell, about the most I could afford for a scope (but don't get me wrong, I want a USO, NF, or Leupold Mk4M5). I've heard they are discontinued, and are going for pretty fair prices. I got mine from Midway with a $250 promotional discount (code "4200" for those interested, I believe it only works for the 4200 tactical 3-12x and 6-24x). Anyone else use this scope?

Wish me luck! GI6

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I'm really interested in this scope Bricktop. I hope somebody that has been using one for awhile will chime in here and give a report.

·
Registered
221 Posts
+1, feedback would be much appreciated, as I'm looking at this scope too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I got the scope last week. It looks nice, but... (always a but) there are few things I don't much care for. First off though, the optical quality is very nice, as you can expect from the 4200 glass.

The things I didn't like were that the turrets were kinda mushy. They do click, but not quite the tactile feedback I wanted.

The illumination is kinda weird. It seems to light up the vertical dots moreso than the horizontal ones up until about max brightness. It bleeds a bit on the higher brightness, and it also kinda of projects a green beam out the front of the scope. I wasn't dead-set on illumination, but if I have it I'd like it to work well.

The biggest thing I think is that the scope is very picky about eye position. You have to have it absolutely perfect otherwise you're looking at a black donut (either too close or too far). My eyes really had trouble with it (I'm only in my mid 20s too). Not the case with the only other good scope I have, a Leupold VX-II.

I think, for as much as I paid for it, I'd rather either a) have the money (somewhat poor college student budget here) or b) bite the bullet and spend more for a nice scope. I'm eyeballing a Leupold MK4 LR/T with M5 knobs or a IOR 3-18x Hide Edition, both are around $1500. I will have a while to save up for either and make up my mind in the mean time. Fortunately I did not mount it to a rifle, so I boxed it back up and am sending it back to Midway.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks a ton for the feedback. I'm also eyeballing the IOR. You might check out SWFA for the new Super Sniper line, they have a 3x9 at the same price as the Bushnell, and it is getting good feedback on other forums.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Excellent feedback bricktop. I can't count how many times I've had to box it up and send it back. I think I'm gonna pass on this one, I can't stand mushy turrets and I'm not to crazy about bad illumination either. You might have just gotten a bad one but who knows.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. The scope does get fairly good reviews other places on the web, though (hide and whatnot), so I was doubting returning it. It has all of the features I wanted, but it just didn't turn out like I'd hoped. Of course, you fellas might like it though. It would have been great if there was some place local to me that had them so I could look through before buying...

I spose if I change my mind later, Natchez has them for $540 now while they last (the 4200s are being discontinued), so money would be saved either way.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Small update. I ordered the Weaver TGS 3-10x, which has a mil reticle with mil turrets and a reasonably good reception by most online (again, no shops around me have anything like this in stock). I got this to have in the mean time until the Viper PST 4-16 FFP MRAD is more available. It has all of the features I really want and it lets me live in financial reality GI7.

Link here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts