M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
"Death From Above"
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to buy an entire rifle to get it. Its a colt A1 upper just like I carried in the early 80's. After handling it, I remembered why I never like the 16. Handguards are all loose and that rear sight is something else but it worked for me back then.
It is an Eagle Arms Lower that I am going to set up with A GA trigger and use for a carbine build I am working on.
It came with some funky scope attached to the upper carry handle. This thing is a feather light compared to my NM AR's. As light as it is I can remember it being heavy as hell when yo had to carry it around 24/7 365.

·
Registered
178 Posts
nice rifle, good luck with it. Preban lower prices are killer for us NY'ers. I just saw a Bushy lower on Arf go for 450.00 though, so if you keep an eye out, you can score from time to time.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Nice. Those are my favorite ARs to shoot. I have a few prebans. 2 setup like that and an HBAR. Have one with 2 all Colts and another clone w/mostly colt parts. that one is Wilson CM 1/9 twist. I can get 2.5 inches at 200 with 55gr. Hornady softpoint. Good luck with it.

·
"Death From Above"
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks gents! The lower has been stripped and a few new parts installed. I couldn't believe the trigger that was in there. It felt like it had sandpaper for hooks. Just waiting on my krieger HBAR carbine barrel to get back from Compass Lake Eng. I sent it down to get cut down and have a comp pinned to the end. It will wind up in the A2 config, sort of like a mini NM A2 set up with an adjustable CTR stock.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Nice looking retro you got there Warren!! Be sure to let us know how it shoots!!

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Warren I am Happy for you.
This question is coming from a Guy that has never had to worry about pre-ban.
How do you tell/know ????? Just Curious thats all

·
"Death From Above"
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Warren I am Happy for you.
This question is coming from a Guy that has never had to worry about pre-ban.
How do you tell/know ????? Just Curious thats all
Serial number. This one is an eagle arms and the town and state are on the side. I am at my sisters dog sitting, I don't know what the town is but it is in IL. From what I understand that particular factory burn down before 94 I think it was in 91 or 92 I am not at all certain. If it has that town and state on the eagle arms receiver it is a pre ban.
For all of you who may have one, I will be willing to buy you a brand new LRB lower and toss in some cash to buy a preban. Any takers?????

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Serial number. This one is an eagle arms and the town and state are on the side. I am at my sisters dog sitting, I don't know what the town is but it is in IL. From what I understand that particular factory burn down before 94 I think it was in 91 or 92 I am not at all certain. If it has that town and state on the eagle arms receiver it is a pre ban.
For all of you who may have one, I will be willing to buy you a brand new LRB lower and toss in some cash to buy a preban. Any takers?????
What is the SN cutoff?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I just looked at my Eagle Arms catalog from '94 and at that time they were located in Coal Valley Ilinois.

·
"Death From Above"
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am hoping the guys at the local shop know what they are talking about John. I have a bill of sale from 91 the guy gave me as as well. From what I understand, and how it was explained to me was that after the factory burned down they were no longer placing Cal Valley on the receivers. Are they wrong??? Also the guy at the local shop ran the SN. I had planned on calling Armilite tomorrow as well. Again from what I was told, for a small fee of $30, they will send a letter saying that the particular SN is in fact a preban. If thats the case and it is true I plan on getting the letter. Nothing stopping a police officer from taking any rifle from you at the range and leaving the burden of proof up to you. For that matter, I am not ever going to argue with a police officer period. So I am hoping that there is a clear picture of the side of a receiver in your catalogue and it does not show Coal Valley IL on the side.

·
"Death From Above"
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
"Death From Above"
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can't wait to see what your mad scientist mind does with it!

Tony.
Nothing to crazy T. I have installed a GA trigger and replaced a couple of parts in it and Last week I bought an A2 upper on the forum. I have a Krieger HBAR carbine barrel 16.5 inches long. I sent it to Compass Lake Engineering to have it shortened threaded and crowned and to index a small JP tac comp on it. Of course I am having the overall length made to 16.1 inches and they are pinning and welding the comp on. It is SS so when it gets back I am sending it to a guy in Jersey to have it cerakoted. It has a rifle extension, my request so I will use a standard A2 FSB and it will essentially be a mini -15 NM with a legal collapsable stock.
Here is what I have so far, nothing spectacular. I am not building anymore scoped rifles until I scope the three M25's i have. I am not in a hurry, I have really been enjoying and getting better with the irons for the last couple of years. I am having the barrel cut down because I feel like it will be ascetically unbalanced

·
Registered
744 Posts
Good project, but sorry you have jump through so many hoops. But reading your posts on other builds. You thrive on the challange. So I won't rub it in about not having to do such here in Nevada. I know it's going turn out as you plan.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.