M14 Forum banner

Welding scope mounts to the receiver

1344 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  usmchistorian
Kind of an interesting(?) idea to weld the scope mounts to the receiver. In the past, I have seen a few M14 projects that had the Sadlak mount tig welded. Recently it was posted that the bolt was tig welded on some sniper rifles to prevent loosening. Currently there is an M14 for sale on the LRB website with the block in the stripper clip guide slot welded in place. Here's a pic from LRB site of the rifle for sale:

My LRB M14 has the stripper clip guide welded in place, but that's as a repair due to the previous owner breaking the thin portion while attempting to install a scope mount. I might mention I got an LRB rifle for really cheap!

Overall, a friend took care of me and the repair went well. He thinks the heat treatment concentrated in the thin section to become a little more brittle. Here it is after fixing it before I ground it smooth and re-parked the receiver. A little Devcon Steel Putty filled in the back of the guide and most M14 aficionados don't even notice the repair.

Just curious why they would weld the block to the receiver unless it was a repair of some sort. But it doesn't appear to be the case though.
Reactions: tank1949
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,972 Posts
Hello, What?.
Well, here is my thought on that one.
Because, he/she/they wanted a quick devaluation of the dollar(theirs). Is all I can see why, one would like/want to do that to a perfectly good receiver.
Whomever, should have put that last beer down and rethought it out in the mourning but, they didn't... and, now you know the rest of the story.
Kinda, like. Welding the bolt on or to a sniper rifle(?) so, you don't loose it?. I don't get the concept at all if, truly done. Wouldn't a piece of nylon string from the bolt handle to rear ring mount do just fine...

· Premium Member
22,443 Posts
My issued m39 had its scope mount welded to the clip guide area of the receiver, and the mounting bolt welded to the scope mount. I never had to worry about it coming looses that’s for sure.
Do you happen to remember which mfg optic mount was used on your M39?

· Registered
239 Posts
If it’s the M39 EMR, it should be the Smith Enterprise PN: 2006. That’s was the issued mount anyway.

Reactions: nf1e

· Registered
2,176 Posts
To be honest I don’t remember, I will see if I can see it in some of my pictures.

The emr in post 2 of this thread M39 EMR Build help. that is in the sand was my rifle, I can’t really tell the manufacturer of the mount. The SEI and sadlak mount all look the same to me.

· Premium Member
22,443 Posts
To be honest I don’t remember, I will see if I can see it in some of my pictures.

The emr in post 2 of this thread M39 EMR Build help. that is in the sand was my rifle, I can’t really tell the manufacturer of the mount. The SEI and sadlak mount all look the same to me.
I am going to guess it is a SEI hence the weld.

· Registered
231 Posts
About 20 years ago I had a table next to a guy that was selling sniper rifles at the Tulsa gun show. He had about 6 or 7 different types. British Enfields, M-14’s, M1’s, Remington 700’s, and Winchester70’s. The scope mounts were WELDED on the receivers on them all. I asked why and he told me that some units wanted them welded on to keep them from coming loose. He said most Marine and British units had them welded. He told me that he did work for a lot of militaries around the world. His work was beyond belief. BTW he was NOT from Tulsa, in fact he was Oriential in appearance.

· Premium Member
22,443 Posts
Do the SEI have a history of coming loose?
So I have heard. That's why I was asking. It is my understanding that the reason for SADLAK adding the screws in the dovetail was to prevent movement that was a problem with the earlier Brookfield and SEI units that required welding when used for actual sniper service. Certainly not necessary for the guys that are nailing together clones, but just a point of interest for the real deals.

· Registered
9,851 Posts
So I have heard. That's why I was asking. It is my understanding that the reason for SADLAK adding the screws in the dovetail was to prevent movement that was a problem with the earlier Brookfield and SEI units that required welding when used for actual sniper service. Certainly not necessary for the guys that are nailing together clones, but just a point of interest for the real deals.
Notorious for coming loose were the GG&G scope mounts, the USMC armors would tack weld them in place. Thats the reason you don’t find them on the secondary markets.

The SEI. and Sadlak scope mounts are based on the Brookfield Precision Tool co. design and are all excellent choices for mounting a scope on an M14 rifle and all of them can work loose. The biggest factor in a loose mount is improper installiation.

The threads on both the receiver and the mounting bolt of the scope mount should be void of any oil, followed by a small application of loctite.

When I ordered my two Sadlak scope mounts, they provide a small tube of loctite.

I have never read where the military welded Brookfield and SEI scope mounts to the reciever, Art could you please provide your source for this information?!

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!
REN

· Premium Member
22,443 Posts
Notorious for coming loose were the GG&G scope mounts, the USMC armors would tack weld them in place. Thats the reason you don’t find them on the secondary markets.

The SEI. and Sadlak scope mounts are based on the Brookfield Precision Tool co. design and are all excellent choices for mounting a scope on an M14 rifle and all of them can work loose. The biggest factor in a loose mount is improper installiation.

The threads on both the receiver and the mounting bolt of the scope mount should be void of any oil, followed by a small application of loctite.

When I ordered my two Sadlak scope mounts, they provide a small tube of loctite.

I have never read where the military welded Brookfield and SEI scope mounts to the reciever, Art could you please provide your source for this information?!

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!
REN
Take a breath and read post #5 and '#12 before you have a fit. You reading leaves much to be desired. It is as I had had understood. SEI was the go to at the time and required welding for stability
Do the SEI have a history of coming loose?
Only if they are used. No worry for the safe queens.

· Registered
239 Posts
About 20 years ago I had a table next to a guy that was selling sniper rifles at the Tulsa gun show. He had about 6 or 7 different types. British Enfields, M-14’s, M1’s, Remington 700’s, and Winchester70’s. The scope mounts were WELDED on the receivers on them all. I asked why and he told me that some units wanted them welded on to keep them from coming loose. He said most Marine and British units had them welded. He told me that he did work for a lot of militaries around the world. His work was beyond belief. BTW he was NOT from Tulsa, in fact he was Oriential in appearance.
Boy where those the days.

The welding of bases, mounts, and rings is not unusual. Two types that just pop into my immediate mind are the early M40A1 rings and base. The early assemblies had the bottom scope ring portions welded to the base before an integrated assembly was made for the Unertl. The No 4 Mk1 T had examples with the pads welded to the receiver.

Fascinating stuff!

Reactions: LD06490 and nf1e
1 - 16 of 16 Posts