M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me to any info on adding (behind the trigger) an additional recoil lug to the M1A rifle?

I seem to recall that this was one of the things people did to "hot-rod" their rifles and make them more rigid to the stock, along with glass bedding, etc., but I also seem to recall there was some issue with the heat from the weld changing the characteristics of the steel...?

I would like to research this more but don't know where to start, and a cursory search in the archives turned up zip.

Thanks for any info.

Pike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lugs

Hi Pike
A guy named Derrick Martin did mine about 10 years ago.
It was a very good job. I think he will do it for you. The name of his shop Accuracy Speaks. He is big on AR 15's but built M-14 for Army National Guard and was a Marine Corps armor.

Hope This helps
Denis

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, Denis. I went to the Accuracy Speaks site and it definitely sounds like Derrick knows his stuff. I'll have to contact him, as I have a welder and was thinking of attempting this modification myself (if it's do-able for an amateur weldor).

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
I can say that Derrick double lugged and rebedded my rifle and it was very well done, I live in Tucson and he is up north just a tad, definitly worth the drive. If you should have your rifle lugged I strongly suggest for a single rear lug a oversized wood stock if your looking into the double lug Derrick will need a syn McMillian.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
The welding is the easy part. But you need to take care or the rcvr's temper / hardness -- otherwise you will end up with a soft and stretchy rcvr!

Let a pro do it.

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
With some help from the kid I can take the pics of my rifle and mabe email them for someone else too post on the board I've tried many time and have given up so there is no use in me trying. Any takers??

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
You can get that welded on, no matter how good of a Job, but You need to get it Re Heat Treated by someone that knows what He is Doing, take my Word for it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts