M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see a lot of questions about this so I thought I'd post a thread on it, hopefully one doesn't already exist. Feel free to add your own contributions if you've weighed parts. Also feel free to correct me if I used the wrong terminology for a particular part.

I picked up a new scale tonight, got bored and decided to weigh some things. Maybe this thread can serve as a reference to those wondering how much different things weigh. I will edit this later when I weigh more parts. Hopefully it can give people guidelines on how much various modifications and parts will affect the weight of their rifles.

I used a $50 digital kitchen scale, but I checked it using nickles and it seemed to be accurate to 1/30th of an ounce. Obviously I'm not working with laboratory grade equipment so use these numbers at your own risk, but I think they're pretty close, since I weighed each rifle & part 10 times and took the reading that came up the most (the mode).

So here are some M14 related items and their weights:

Complete Rifles:

"As issued" Basic 22" full auto M14 in USGI fiberglass stock w/ GI contour barrel on SEI receiver: 9lbs 3.75oz (147.75oz)

Same rifle as above but in birch M14E2 Stock w/ folding vertical foregrip and w/ USCG muzzle brake instead of GI Flash Suppressor: 9lb 12.25oz (156.25 oz)

LRB Tanker 18.5" w/ criterion standard contour chrome lined barrel, Vortex DC flash suppressor and SEI gas lock front sight in SAI "synthetic stock": 8lbs 4.875oz (132.875oz)

Same rifle as above but in USGI fiberglass stock instead: 8lbs 14.375oz (142.375oz)

Stocks (including GI buttplates, ferrules, and swivels)

SAI "Synthetic" stock: 2lb 7oz (39 oz)

USGI Fiberglass refinished w/ Cerakote: 3lb 0.5 oz (48.5 oz)

USGI Birch M14E2 Stock w/ folding vertical foregrip - 3lb 8oz (56 oz)

McMillan M1A stock: 4lb 12.25 oz (76.25 oz)

Muzzle Devices

USGI Flash Suppressor w/ Front Sight, Castle Nut + Set Screw: 4.25oz

LRB reproduction NM (reamed) Flash Suppressor w/ Front Sight, Castle Nut+Set Screw: 3.75 oz

USCG Muzzle Brake w/ Front Sight, Castle Nut+Set Screw: 5.25 oz

SEI Vortex Flash Suppressor: 4.125 oz

Gas System/Front Sights

USGI Gas Lock: .5 oz

SEI Gas Lock Front Sight: 1.375 oz

USGI standard Front Sight: .375 oz

Miscellaneous Parts

USGI front sling swivel with screws: 1.0 oz

Rear Sling Swivel: 0.75 oz

Sadlak Heavy Duty Front Rail w/backing plate (not included basic front swivel and screws): 2.5 oz

Full Auto Connector Arm: 1.25 oz

USGI Butt Plate: 7.375 oz

Butt Plate Screws & Nut: 0.75 oz

Handguard, USGI: 2.625 oz

Handguard, Fulton Armory: 2.0 oz

Handguard Clip: 0.125 oz

20 round Magazine, CMI, unloaded: 8.25oz

20 round Magazine, CMI, loaded with Malaysian Surplus ball 147gr 7.62x51mm ammo: 1lb 9.5oz

Comments: It's pretty clear that you can easily have an M14/M1A under 8lbs if you use an 18.5" or shorter barrel, rubber butt pad instead of the GI buttplate, Springfield Armory Inc "synthetic" (plastic) or lighter stock and use a reamed Flash Suppressor as your muzzle device. The biggest gain is probably from ditching the butt plate, most recoil pads I've seen are in the 3 oz range, so that's a 4oz saving right there. For me, that gets into "unpleasant recoil territory, but your mileage may vary, that's why I'm building a 15+ lb Match Rifle right now DI5

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Thanks for the info LSW. BTW, you list the USGI Buttplate as 7.3 oz. Is this for the complete weight of the assembly, or for the steel swing up hinge? The steel swing up part seems to make up about 75% of the total weight. dozier

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Thanks for the info. Do you have a Garand buttplate you can weigh for me?

TIA, Deac

Reactions: LoneStarWings

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Weights

Stocks, no buttplate or rear swivel

USGI walnut #1 34.3 oz Tru-oil
USGI walnut #2 33.7 oz finish stripped
USGI walnut #3 33.7 oz spray camo, glass bedded
USGI walnut #4 39.1 oz, oil finish

USGI NM birch, medium hvy dwg # 11010263, Sykes, routed for bedding 34.9 oz oil finish
USGI NM walnut, medium hvy dwg # 11010263, S.A., glass bedded 36.5 oz oil finish

USGI NM mystery wood, heavy contour dwg #9352638, Fajen 33.9 oz no finish
USGI NM walnut, heavy contour dwg #9352638, Fajen 41.4 oz no finish

USGI fiberglass 36.9 oz mil finish
USGI fiberglass #2 40.8 oz spray can camo

Hueygunner composite stock 37.4 oz green CARC finish

USGI M14 buttplate 8.2 oz with screws, 7.4 oz 210 gm w/o screws
USGI M1 buttplate 3.8 oz 109gm w/o screws
Rubber spacer 7790914 0.8 oz 22gm
USGI front ferrule 6g
USGI front sling swivel, no rivets 22g
USGI rear sling swivel 22g .8 oz

USGI cast FS, NM reamed 106g
USGI cast FS 109g
Mystery MB, short 4 vent w/ bayo lug 120g
SAI CA MB, no bayo lug 132g
SEI USCG brake, no bayo lug 140g
SAI/Fabian Bros Muzzle Stabilizer w/ bayo lug 167g
Clark/Miculek MB w/ bayo lug 179g
Mystery MB, USGI E2 style vents, no bayo lug 195g

7790190, USGI standard weight chrome lined
HR 7-62 1lb 14.9oz

9345206, NM medium weight
26978 5-83 2lb 12.2oz

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just got an SAI "synthetic" (plastic) stock with the rubber recoil pad. Apparently going from the flip up butt plate to the rubber recoil pad will save you 4.375 oz. It also adds 1/2" to the length of pull.

SAI Synthetic stock with rubber butt plate: 2lbs 2.625 oz (34.625 oz)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone weighed the barrel mount and hw of the SAI scout squad?

Has anyone weighed the Scout Squad forward optics rail and hand guard? I've seen lots of posts suggesting various hand guard / scout rail replacement options (Fulton, Ultimak, Vltor, etc) and as with any mods on the M1A / M14, weight is a consideration, so great idea starting this thread. If not I'll remove the rail from my Scout Squad, weigh it and add a post.

In the meantime, I've sent some emails to UltiMAK and Fulton Armory about the weight of a few options I'm considering:,

from UltiMAK:
"The M8 mount, with its steel barrel clamps, weighs 10.16 ounces. However; since the mount replaces the handguard, you’d subtract the weight of the factory handguard to arrive at the net install weight. The recent, light plastic handguard that came with our Springfield Standard M1A weighs 2.32 ounces, so in this particular case the M8’s net install weight is 7.84 ounces. In short; you’ll scarcely notice."

From Fulton Armory Re: the Super Scout Rail:
"It weighs just about one pound, and does retain the use of the iron sights."

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I use M1 Garand buttplates on my 14 types with the piece of the rubber buttplate filling the hole where the hinged section of the 14 buttplate goes. It is a weight saver and LOP reducer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also, anyone weighed any folding stock systems or lighter than average (SAI or USGI synthetic stock being my baseline) stock setups?
For example, McCann Industries' website indicates that their carbon fiber stock is the lightest at 22 oz. I assume that's without a specific buttstock or Pistol grip. I'm looking to lighten my rifle but don't have 900 bucks laying around at the moment so considering alternatives. Obviously, accuracy and recoil are also concerns so taking trade-offs other than weight into consideration, including whether bedding is necessary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am cataloging all of this and more in a .xlsx file, if anyone is interested.
H#$# yes, brother, thank you. That will make unit of measure conversion and comparison modeling a lot easier. I am happy to help build some formulas to help people build apples to apples comparisons by selecting parts combinations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
http://m14forum.com/modern-m14/72297-best-light-synthetic-stock-no-bedding-2.html#post739798

Lots of good info on this prior thread, answered one of my questions:

McCann Industries carbon fiber stock only with no handguard or buttstock (it accepts buffer tubes and AR-compatible buttstocks): approx. 1 lb. 2 oz.
McCann Industries upper handguard with rails: 7.4 oz.

Also need to consider the weight of any bedding certain stocks required - lugs only, handguard area only, full bedding. Not sure what that weighs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
http://m14forum.com/modern-m14/72297-best-light-synthetic-stock-no-bedding-2.html#post739798

Lots of good info on this prior thread, answered one of my questions:

McCann Industries carbon fiber stock only with no handguard or buttstock (it accepts buffer tubes and AR-compatible buttstocks): approx. 1 lb. 2 oz.
McCann Industries upper handguard with rails: 7.4 oz.

Also need to consider the weight of any bedding certain stocks required - lugs only, handguard area only, full bedding. Not sure what that weighs.
Related to bedding, MrSilva said the following in that same thread:
Just to sum it up, for those of you who want to consider M1A/M14 synthetic/metal stocks, here are all I could find. If anybody kindly corrects any of the info presented here, I'll amend this post.

Stocks that do not require bedding (they include an internal aluminum structure):
- Sage EBR - Aluminum stock
www.sageinternationalltd.com
- Troy MCS - Aluminum stock
www.troyind.com
- JAE 100 - Composite stock
www.jae100.com
- Short Rifle Systems - Composite bullpup type stock
www.shortrifles.com
- VLTOR - Modified USGI fiberglass stock
www.vltor.com
- McCann Industries - Carbon Fiber stock
www.mccannindustries.com
- M14 M1A Heaven Viron - Wood + carbon fiber stocks
www.m14-m1aheaven.com

Stocks that require bedding:
- McMillan - Fiberglass stock
www.mcmfamily.com
- USGI - Fiberglass stock (you may only require partial bedding)
- Brown Precision - Composite, kevlar, graphite stocks
www.brownprecision.com
- Springfield Armory - Scout composite stock, don't know if they sell the stock separately (you may only require partial bedding)
www.springfield-armory.com
- LAW483 - Several synthetic stocks
www.law483.com
- Hueygunner (M14 TFL Forum) - Aerospace stock
m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=44261

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I use M1 Garand buttplates on my 14 types with the piece of the rubber buttplate filling the hole where the hinged section of the 14 buttplate goes. It is a weight saver and LOP reducer.

Actually you don't need to do that Bamban. If you punch out the large roll pin that secures just the swing up portion, you still retain the rest of the butt plate to fill the hole. Just be carefull when punching out the pin, as there is a spring and plunger that will go flying. Actually the only part of the USGI Butt Plate that is steel is the swing up portion. The rest of the unit is aluminum. dozier

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am cataloging all of this and more in a .xlsx file, if anyone is interested.
Hello,
Just found this forum and reading voraciously! Do you have the excel sheet posted somewhere?

Thanx!

Learning a bunch!

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Hello,
Just found this forum and reading voraciously! Do you have the excel sheet posted somewhere?

Thanx!

Learning a bunch!
Send me an e-mail request. I delete your e-mail upon reply and do not send out spam. [email protected]

ETA: I have been adding to this spreadsheet as new information is obtained. It has about 180 entries for various items so far.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts