M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
The WMMW 18 " barrel will likely weigh more than a 22 " standard contour or medium weight barrel. The WMMW 22 " barrel weighs 8 ounces more than a USGI medium weight 22 " barrel. The standard profile 22 " barrels are even lighter.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so the standard profile 22 inch barrel is the lightest? what kind of an 18 inch barrel would I need to get to be saving weight? I didn't realize that the Wolfe barrels were made heavyer, I assumed the flutes saved weight, making it a lighter option!

The whole idea of me getting an 18 was to save weight!

anyone have barrel weight info for different types of barrels so i can compare them?
if the WMMW is heavier by 4 ounces, i dont care, but if we are talking 1lbs or more, it may change my mind.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
barrel, 17 5/8 " standard Chinese 27.6 ounces
barrel, 22 " standard Chinese 31.3 ounces
barrel, 22 " standard Smith Enterprise p/n 2028 33.3 ounces
barrel, 22 " standard USGI - HRA p/n 7790190 30.7 ounces

·
Registered
33 Posts
You might not save weight, but the gun could balance better.

I've noticed that it's not always about gross weight, but more about weight distribution.

My 20" Savage 10FP weighs 14.5lbs, but I never would have known until I weighed it. The gun handles extremely well. My Remington 700 PSS 26" weighs about 2lbs less, but it's 6 inches longer and it feels heavier to me.

Likewise, my 22" Match M1A is a tank but points well.

FYI, the SCAR is actually heavier than some M4 style rifles but to me it feels much better shouldered and points better (I think it was 1lb heavier than a similar midlength AR).

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Here's what I got on a digital scale;

USGI standard weight, 22", H-R 7790190 30.9 oz
USGI medium weight NM, 22", SAK/Maremont 9345206 44.2 oz
By Different's numbers that would make the WMMW barrel about 52 oz.

The lightest barrel option readily available would be one of the Criterion standard weight barrels in 18.5", I haven't weighed one but they should be several ounces lighter than a GI standard, maybe something like 26 oz... just an estimate.

Stocks vary quite a bit in weight. I have weighed standard "skinny" USGI walnut stocks between 33.7 and 39.1 oz. That's 5 1/2 oz difference. I haven't weighed a "skinny" birch but I have weighed a couple of "Big Red" birch stocks at around 34.9 oz. The lightest might be an original "skinny" pattern birch.

Get a light stock. Take a good scale to the gunshow and buy the lightest one you can find.

Then remove the flapper from the buttplate. The steel flapper weighs about 5-6 oz.

Those two changes alone could remove 1/2-3/4 lb from your rifle without changing barrels. GI3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.