M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a customer brought this into the shop yesterday. It will no longer shoot, as the firing pin has somehow curved itself. As far as I can determine it is a Mark I, serial # 34507. No idea who chromed it or when, it still is set up for .455. The question, can not find a hammer/ firing pin, Numrich Arms has one for a Mark III, and I found other non Mark I hammers on other web sites, will it work? Beyond that, I have no idea, except taking my torch and heating the pin to a minimum to re-straighten it, and I realize that opens up a whole new set of potential problems. Ideas? Suggestions? Other parts suppliers?

Vance

Reactions: Tommo

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wiz1997, just after you posted I found out the same thing. I suspected all along they were not interchangeable, and it was one of those rare times when I was right. As to grinding off the pin and driving and tapping for another, I can see where that would work, but would take someone with machining skills FAR above mine. At this point I'm gonna add it to the "customer seeking parts" list and may stumble upon one in the future. I did call the customer back and we talked about trying to straighten it, really nothing to loose, since it won't fire anyway. I appreciate the help and info from all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.