M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a customer brought this into the shop yesterday. It will no longer shoot, as the firing pin has somehow curved itself. As far as I can determine it is a Mark I, serial # 34507. No idea who chromed it or when, it still is set up for .455. The question, can not find a hammer/ firing pin, Numrich Arms has one for a Mark III, and I found other non Mark I hammers on other web sites, will it work? Beyond that, I have no idea, except taking my torch and heating the pin to a minimum to re-straighten it, and I realize that opens up a whole new set of potential problems. Ideas? Suggestions? Other parts suppliers?

Vance

Reactions: Tommo

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
If you must straighten it, try every method to do so without heat first.

Reactions: VanceM

·
Registered
203 Posts
Apex gun parts has the MkIII. Can't find it now but read the hammer design was changed between the I & II, although it looks mostly cosmetic from a "longhorn" to a stubby since the grips and shape were changed. Changes on the III were to the cylinder and frame but the hammer looks the same. Here is a cutaway of the III to compare mounting holes and screws. I lost it. here's the I, hopefully. I'll try to find the III
http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...rvice-revolver-cut-away-.cfm?gun_id=100646834
Explanation of hammer change:
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Webley_Revolvers
Here's the III, maybe
http://www.firearmsales.com.au/webley.php
Could be wrong but they seem to mount identically.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Found a Webley Mark I over on Gunbroker, 54574947.

Pictures look like the hammer/firing pin is curved.

Doesn't look quite like the one you have but it may help.

The seller may be able to help, some will some won't, all you can do is ask.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Nothing much to do today so I spent some time checking out this Webley.

The hammers are not interchangeable.

Finding a hammer will be difficult.

I did find that some have repaired the firing pin by grinding what is left flat, drilling a hole into the flat and then inserting a pin cut to the proper length so it strikes the primer.

And do not use 45 ACP in this pistol.

Found this info over on Gunboards.com under "yard sell Webley". 9/12/2015

·
Registered
672 Posts
Vance; the more I look at the photo I have to ask you to define "It will no longer shoot", please be very specific! Has anyone done a FP protrusion test?

Reactions: Jeff in Texas

·
Registered
582 Posts
As a last ditch effort to get it to fire. Grind the firing pin off, bore a hole and fit a new pin.
Obviously this ruins resale value, but seems to me that it's compromised anyway!

After another look, maybe you could show it a sexy S&W 629!!!����

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wiz1997, just after you posted I found out the same thing. I suspected all along they were not interchangeable, and it was one of those rare times when I was right. As to grinding off the pin and driving and tapping for another, I can see where that would work, but would take someone with machining skills FAR above mine. At this point I'm gonna add it to the "customer seeking parts" list and may stumble upon one in the future. I did call the customer back and we talked about trying to straighten it, really nothing to loose, since it won't fire anyway. I appreciate the help and info from all.

·
Registered
281 Posts
FWIW I have a Mark III .38 S&W. The pin looks to be more hefty and a bit less bent.
The cylinder looks like it was shaved. Can't really tell. See if there is a SN on the cylinder with the bottom cut off.
A bunch of Enfield and Webley pistol folks on www.enfield-rifles.com

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I have several Webley and Enfield revolvers in my military pistol collection including a Royal Irish Constabulary. I compared your picture to my Webley Mark VI and it appears very similar, including the slight bend in the firing pin. Open your pistol, then **** the hammer and lower it while holding the trigger to the rear and see how far the firing pin protudes past the face of the breech.

Will your firing pin pass through the breech face and protrude around .25 - .30 thousandths or so? Or does it hang up on the inside of the breech face and not go past the breech face? If that is the case, then some idiot has bent the firing pin and you might gently try to straighten it by trial and error that is if you can't find a new replacement hammer.

7th

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.