M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a thread of should I sell what I got and purchase something else or the qualities of different revolvers or how week the design is etc. innless I get a troll. With that being said....

I have a Webley Mark 5 as stated above. I want to customize it, id like to put some gold flake on the front sight to catch the light. I would also like to tighten up the cylinder and have it coated in salt bath nitrading. I would also like to do something so it can handle a steady diet of .45 acp.

I need to know were to start to find out were to send it to who can do it etc

Thanks fellas

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You can do the gold flake yourself, it isn't hard but is expensive.
There are gunsmiths on the 1860 Colt forum who work on revolvers and their isn't that much difference between the colt and the Webley so I am sure you could find someone who can tighten up the cylinder for you.
Any of the sponsors of this site could nitrate it for you.
I don't remember who does it but you can type in nitrite in the search and find someone who does it.
Greg

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Are you going to use moon clips? I have one like this. Personally if I had one the cylinder had not been shaved on I would not do it. It is just too much trouble loading. I thought I would like it, but it is one of those I shot a few times and just threw in the back of the safe. I bought mine already converted and got it dirt cheap. I think $150. I always thought I might like to make it original if I could find the parts. Thanks for reminding me I have it. GI3

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
The Webley converted to .45 ACP was my very first revolver. I traded it off fairly quickly for my second revolver, a 4" BARRELED Charter Arms BULLDOG 5 SHOT IN .44 SPL.

At the time I was younger, and I loved to load up the .44 SPL reloads to MAX velocity, and pretend it was a .44 MAGNUM. I had a lot of fun with the BULLDOG and the .44 SPL cartridge. The Bulldog was amazingly tough and too light for the loads I shot so it recoiled pretty fiercly, but as I said ...
I was younger then.

BIG BORE revolver bullets at low and moderate velocity really are fun to shoot ... recoil is more of a push than a punch. And the original .455 Webley cartridge had a decent reputation as a man stopper. 265 gr bullets at 650 fps, and 224 gr bullets at 700 fps were nothing to sneeze at.

After owning dozens of different revolvers over the years, I finally came to the conclusion that the old Webley, if original, is best left in original condition as a "collectible". A steady diet of modern .230 GR .45 ACP ammo will not agree with this old design.

However, if you down load .45 ACP a bit to match .455 external ballistics, you will probably have a ball. And .45 ACP cases are a lot cheaper and easier to find than the original .455 Web.

PS: Shooting these old heavyweight bullets at low velocity is sort of like throwng pumpkins ...
or that scene from The Big Lebowski where a guy gets hit by a bowling ball.
FUN!!

YPMMV
LAZ 1

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,200 Posts
I have a MK VI that has been cut for 45 auto, it is a fun shooter. I load mid range loads for it with cast bullets only, I want to find a 250gn bullet for it.
I wish the cylinder was long enough for a 45 colt conversion, that would make a neat gun.

Casey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts