M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about using a leather NM sling for high power matches. Right now I'm shooting an AR-15 but am looking at getting an M14-style rifle in the future. So far I've only used a web sling, and like to cinch it down tightly on my bicep. Does the leather sling get tight like the web?

Since the leather sling has to be adjusted using pre-punched holes, are there issues with needing to be at a length in between the holes?

How quickly can you transition between shooting positions using a leather sling?

What are the advantages of the leather NM sling over your standard web sling?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't think there are advantages to one over the other. Both are capable of assisting in building solid shooting positions. I happen to use leather but have a web sling as a backup. It may take a little practice to get used to the 1907 type but there is no real difference in the time to transition once you understand the procedure. There are several methods to configure the 1907 and each user will claim their method is best. It can be cinched down on the arm tightly provided it is a quality product.
The Biothane slings are something to look at. They don't stretch, are weather resistant and the keepers lock in and won't slide.
The web sling is probably the easiest to use but the 1907 Biothane is the strongest.

David

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Question about using a leather NM sling for high power matches. Right now I'm shooting an AR-15 but am looking at getting an M14-style rifle in the future. So far I've only used a web sling, and like to cinch it down tightly on my bicep.

Does the leather sling get tight like the web?
Kosta reply - a properly rigged good quality (e.g. Turner / Tam) leather sling will stay tight and not slip.

Since the leather sling has to be adjusted using pre-punched holes, are there issues with needing to be at a length in between the holes?
Kosta reply - I have never heard anyone complain about this, and I have never had a problem.

How quickly can you transition between shooting positions using a leather sling?
Kosta reply - a leather sling is quick to take-on/take-off, and adjusting the length is simple. Some people do have trouble with the Turner 'biothane(?)' slings because the material itself is 'sticky' - most shooters use regular leather.

Kosta reply - length adjustment can't slip, no loose parts (e.g. web lock) to fall off, quick & easy to use.
Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
558 Posts
Question about using a leather NM sling for high power matches. Right now I'm shooting an AR-15 but am looking at getting an M14-style rifle in the future. So far I've only used a web sling, and like to cinch it down tightly on my bicep. Does the leather sling get tight like the web?
If done correctly, yes. It can take a little more effort though especially with really thick or new leather. The loops can be tight and hard to move sometimes.
A web sling will be easier from the get go..

None that I found, but I suppose it's possible depending on your build. Ive never personally seen anyone not be able to shoot and use a leather sling efficiently because of this problem.

Very easily and quickly. Though can take a little longer to sling-in once in position until you get used to it and have broken it in some..

Leather is cool and it makes you and your rifle look cool, like you gotta pair. MCORPS1

Nah, I know guys, really good service rifle shooters (Distinguished, P100, Highmaster) types who swear by using a GI Web. They say a real canvas web sling has no stretch at all. I dont know if thats true or not.

I use leather because thats what I started with. No other reason, really.

You wont shoot better or worse with one or the other, if used correctly. Leather is far more common, however, and that may mean something...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Borrow one from a buddy

Having used both, I prefer the "elastic" quality of a nicely oiled leather sling. It just seems to tighten up in all the right places for me.
I can cinch the web sling tighter on my bicep, but I can keep the leather tight enough to hold solid. I may just be fooling myself, but it seems that once I squeeze myself into position and relax the leather contracts (that "elastic"quality again!) and holds me and the rifle in a tight little wad.

I haven't noticed any difference in getting into or out of either as far as ease or time is concerned.

See if you can bum one from a buddy and give 'em the ole side by side.

Have fun,

Andy

·
Registered
612 Posts
I started and stayed with leather. Around here most SR shooters have gone to the web sling. The web sling looks simple to use relative to leather. If you use leather you must number the holes and record the correct setting for each position.

Leather slings stretch and firing point slope and target height require setting adjustments. I can see this being an advantage with the web sling. The leather can be slow.

Bruce Woodford made High Master with the M-14 and used the web sling. He wrote this how-to:

http://www.iowahighpower.com/dsm/downloads/websling.PDF

This link is to a video by the USArmy Marksmanship Unit on the set-up and use of the leather sling:

http://www.usaac.army.mil/amu/ServiceRifle/servicerifle.html

Regards

JIm

·
Registered
95 Posts
slowly but surely i am trying to gear up for high power matches again. in my previous life years and years ago, we were on a budget. now with life passing me by at warp speed, i want to get back into long range iron sight shooting which i didnt have much time for and really enjoyed.

my question re: slings is, how long of a match sling do i buy???

looking at a turner biothane, because of our temp extremes here, and i dont want to have to hassle with leather.

turner offers their biothane slings in these sizes:

50"/52"

54"/56"

this is for a M1-A super match. i am 6'3 215#.

any advice?

thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
well got off the phone with phil arrington. his thought was to go with a john weller leather sling 60". he said they will not degrade here in the heat, and should outlast me. so thats the route i am going.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts