M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use as mag carriers and such when training with your rifles? With the military still using them today, I figure there has to have been some improvements over the old Alice gear for the old war horse. I've been looking into a chest rig or a belt rig but was wanting to see what you guys use and recommend. Pics would be great.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use this. It holds 4 30 cal mags and has another pouch for whatever else you need. Very simple and easy to use. I setup the other pouch with a flashlight, knife, fire starter, tourniquet and a few odds and ends.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've found that the standard issue coyote colored M4 double mag pouch fits one M14 mag with a Magpul loop on it very nicely. You can get them dirt cheap on eBay. That's what I use for mags, currently. Eventually I'd also like to get some shingle pouches with bungee tabs for easier access.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Old style surplus here too.

cept my E-tool has a wooden handle.

DaMoose is your buttpack nylon? I can't seem to find an original nylon.

Edward

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Depending on the mission I still have my h harness set up, but I've really come to like current issue fighting load carrier for my 1st/2nd line gear. It's light breathable really adjustable and fits really good under an alice rucks shoulder pads because it has no padding on the shoulders. To me it's like a more versatile h harness. Even though chest rigs are like Hansen and so hot right now, they keep way too much heat in and suck in the prone, where as I just undo 2 buckles and I'm slick up front. The downside is the FLC doesn't have an ounce of cool. So it's not tacticool but it is functional which is all that matters. I recently humped a couple hundred klicks wearing mine with an alice and I have no complaints.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I never usually take my FLC out. I have one time, and that was on our farm. Typically I just take an ALICE pack with me (w/out frame) and just lay everything on the table. I do not wanna wear the monkey suit gear anymore then I have to.

5,445 Posts
Don't bother with Olangopoo Outfitters as that website/vendor has been out of action for at least a year.

If you have the money go with the HSGI "taco mags" and a SKD P.I.G. carrier. The SKD P.I.G. carrier can hold AR500 or ceramic plates if you're so inclined.

Also, as to the "question" later posed, it is best to be equipped and trained for inevitable than languish in the mire with the rest of the "cattle".

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Me, I have to say that you guys who are using the old fashioned web gear- and I have a fair bit of it myself- are really slowing yourselves down. All those flaps and heavy canvas are not really necessary in this day and age. With something like a HSG taco, I'll wager a complete novice could have a magazine out and loaded, or in the case of first aid, an Israeli bandage out and ready to use, in the time it takes you to just undo a flap on your web belt pouch. Mind you, if it's just a fashion statement and slow reloads are all you want, web gear is a perfectly legitimate way to go. Any kind of competition, and I'm a taco guy myself.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Back then protecting the ammo and mags was deemed more important. They were to keep the crud out of your stuff.

Something important on patrol in the slop.

You undo the top well before the lead starts flying......

The old Alice gear is cheap as frack now too...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts