M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been suggested to me that the alert feature on these will work not only for weather but for nuclear accidents and worse, and I'd like to know what people's experiences are with the things in their areas.

Background: I became a WR believer a couple decades ago when I was camped by Lake Superior and heard a freight train coming across the water just before dawn- 10 minutes later, a 90 MPH wall of wind hit my tent and brought it down on my nose. As I found out later, locals along the same waterfront had been warned by their weather radio alerts and hadn't even lost a lawn chair. After that, I bought one for home and, mainly because I had a long daily drive, one for my desk at work... but found out that at work the alert thing was going off constantly because dark clouds were seen three weather zones away and stuff like that. The outcome was that because the thing always went off while I was out and about, the WR at work only lasted a few weeks before I found it in a box on top of my locker, waiting to either go home or to 'disappear'. The one at home has been unplugged as well, maybe 10 years ago- too many alerts and no actual problems. Does anyone find the weather radio alerts useful?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Same here;

We have one radio on my desk in our living room. The only time we have it on is if forecasters predict eminent storms in the area. If it's left on there are alerts for, as you say every dark cloud.

You can program them to be, at least in our case, county specific. You would only receive alerts specific to your county. Unfortunatley we live near the intersection of four counties. So we only use it in storm conditions.

We could program it to only receive alerts from the one county to the North with a nuclear power plant. I think however the news would let us know just as soon with the required alerts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts