M14 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read several posts on other boards about wc846. Most say cross reference 748 or blc2. I used blc 2 data since the start load was lower than 748 and still reduced half a grain since I have mag primers. I later learned in an army tm that they use 44 grains of 846 and 4895 in m118. since 846 is a pull down, and the powder i used is from israli pull down, I dont even know how they know its 846 unless israel buys their powder from us. I know i wouldnt want to pay the hazmat fee on that. But it seems to me that if the army uses the same charge for two different powders, then they can be cross referenced? There is a 2 grain difference in start load from 748 and 4895 in the speer #14 manual. I dont know if thats enough difference to be an issue if you work up to a load for your rifle, but for some one who might just try a load off the internet, I think it could be. But then again, if theyre not willing to research and work up to a load, I'll say just leave enough room so the bullet dont fall out. (legal disclamer: You may want to leave a little more room then that incase you trimmed some cases too short.) I loaded at 43.3 with a 173 grain bullet and considered that to be close to max. I had a some bolt face impressions on the head of cases. I also know that powder is supposed to be really temp sensative. I wasnt able to chrony it, but the tm states 2640 for m118 if any one wants to see what they get if they use that stuff. (I use if for hunting and decided thats all its good for.)

·
Registered
975 Posts
The TM loads are usually maximum allowed loads. The powder companies learned that if the powder didn't make the spec'd velocity range that the whole lot would be rejected and not allowed to be mixed with faster lots. This caused the powder companies to error on the fast side to prevent rejected lots of powder. It's pretty rare to find any M118 with ball powder like W846 but the few I have seen and weighed came in at about 43.0 grains.

Years ago it was possible to find real American surplus powder. These days it's often an imported powder that has a label of well known American powder with similar type and burning rate. These don't always interchange with the US powder load data.

Usually if it's ball powder from 7.62 it's just called "W846" and if it's a ball powder from 5.56 it's called "W844". First of all there isn't a burning rate difference between W846 and W844. The W844 is the same powder as W846 but tested clean enough to function in the M16 where W846 is allowed to be a bit "dirtier". A certain mineral content determines the difference.

Both W846 and W844 are faster than BLC2. Maybe slightly slower than H335. This reference is for the original American-made powders.

W748 was developed to be less dense for more case fill which was believed to help accuracy. This later lead to W749 (testing) and W750 (early M118 LR) powders.

W748 has a steeper burn rate curve than most powders.

W846 and W844 are closer to W748 in load data than BLC2 or H335. I find some of Speer data to be really hot though.

These days buying "surplus" powder is usually imported powders that aren't exactly the same as any American-made powders, though some may be close. I'd start low and work up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tm

The TM list MV at 78 ft (25 m) trying to get the extra at the muzzle to equate for the drop at 78 ft might begin to make parts fly off. You can load a lot hotter when you have a support staff with a parts trailer handy. The newer LR uses Reloader 15. I haven't tried any myself as I use 4064 for the 175's. Also I did a thread last year with the differences I got between +60 and -40. 748 and 4895 were both down 125-150 fps, 4064 dropped about 50 fps.

One thing I have noticed in 30 years of reloading is the hottest load is not always the most accurate. And a critter doesn't know if it got hit with 1100 lbs or 2500 lbs if you hit the boiler.

Find a load that shoots good and operates the rifle without punishing it and have fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts