M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
This does suck on so many levels. Unfortunately LEO's sometimes have 'must report' action associated with some discoveries and have no choice but to report some infractions or suffer legal charges. It's that way with my agency regarding DV's involving commissioned employees. Sucks.

Hopefully, the NRA or the GOA will step up to this lady's defense. I wonder if there's some legal defense fund set up for her?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. I'm not new to the forum here, I just haven't got around to posting anything yet. I thought I might add this to the discussion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haynes_v._United_States

The supreme court already ruled that criminals can't be forced to fill out a background check, due to their 5th amendment rights. It would seem to me that this woman had no reason whatsoever for telling that officer that she had her CCW on her. Even if it's required by the state, it would seem to me to be unenforceable.

I am in no way condoning lying to the police or violating any state laws, in case you are wondering. I'm just saying: you have rights, use them. Remain silent if you can.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sometimes, common sense should come into play. First of all, while I would agree with some who would argue this point, she legally has a permit to carry a weapon and knew she was traveling to another state. She would have been wise in knowing the laws better from state to state as person holding such a responsibility. On the other hand, the officer, knowing she was honest enough to inform him she was armed, could have given her the courtesy of informing her of NJ state laws, and try another avenue other than slapping her with several charges. No, she didn't have to tell him she had the weapon, but as a responsible person who apparently respects LEOs and the dangers they face with others who hide guns for more malicious purposes, she probably felt it was best to go ahead and be honest with the officer about something that important to his safety. Knowing that she gave him that piece of mind would make one think he'd have a bit more compassion. If the majority of people feel their elected officials are doing a good job in NJ, I'll try to avoid that area...I want to enjoy my freedoms without their disapproval. For those of you that are stuck there trying to vote them out because you enjoy yours too, I'll pray for you. If you need a place to move, I'll keep an eye open in the neighborhood for ya.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Pennsylvania doesn't have any requirements for obtaining a carry permit. They are a shall issue state. No training or safety requirements, just a clean record. I know numerous PA residents with carry permits who aren't "gun people." They're just normal folks who believe in protecting themselves. Handguns are as much of the daily routine as a cell phone or spare tire.

I would bet that a surprising number of PA permit holders think their carry permit has the same interstate recognition as their drivers license.

This woman should plead "common sense" when she appears in court. Let it go all the way up to the SCOTUS. Maybe Eric Holder will finally make himself useful and come to her defense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.