M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got me one of these waxed jackets and the company instructions don't mention anything other than not to wash it with detergent, war or hot water. They do have instructions on how to re-wax it and where you might wanna send it to. Most of the youtube instructions are how to re-wax but nothing on taking off the stink. I have been told to hose it down and brush it off to knock the dirt but again nothing on the funk. The lining don't zip out so am I just stuck with cold showers with the jacket worn inside out?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've always washed mine inside out, but zipped our buttoned up in the washing machine by itself. However, only using the cold gentle cycle and the smallest amount of detergent. Seriously just a couple drops. Then air dry inside out and if there's a little funk left I'll use a small amount of febreeze. Then once it's all dry, flip back to normal and do a re-wax.

It's worked on my barbour and filson jackets

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I'll run a load then put the jacket in on the second load and there sill be enough detergent left in the washer from the first load so I won't have to add any?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Maybe I'll run a load then put the jacket in on the second load and there sill be enough detergent left in the washer from the first load so I won't have to add any?
I'd make sure to wash it by itself and inside out keep as much of the finish in tact and protected. In the event that the waterproof wax coating does shed a lot it can ruin your other clothes

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More and more it sounds like a laundro-mat trip with a few bags of ice to lower the tap water's temp as it cycles or a French ***** it and call it good. Maybe put couple of those pine trees from AutoZone in the pockets?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a few Barbour jackets and just a wet rag or sponge, no detergent ,maybe an old tooth brush. Re-proof with Thornproof wax and a hair dryer. Like a good set of boots they will last decades if taken care of.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got couple tins of wax from Orvis and now I get tons of their crap in the email box. Waiting for a warm day something above 70F and I need to get a tarp to catch the wax drips. I think the pale spots are places where the wax wore off? Hope everything will blend in after the wax on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts