M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a walnut stock with what appears to be water damage. The grain is not raised, but the grain has been bleached from the water. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks, Paul

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Clean it with 000 steel wool and mineral spirits then oil it.
Great advice! That's exactly what I woiuld do. Make sure you use pure tung oil as that is what was most likely on the stock previously. It's also the correct finish for the stock.GI2

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took all of the metal off the stock and lightly sanded it by hand with 220 then 400. It took me about 90 minutes to do it. I then put on a coat of BLO and will add a couple more coats over the next few days. All of the water damage spots are gone. The stock looks perfect.

Thanks guys for trying to help.

Thanks again, Paul

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Pics or it didn't happenGI6

I took all of the metal off the stock and lightly sanded it by hand with 220 then 400. It took me about 90 minutes to do it. I then put on a coat of BLO and will add a couple more coats over the next few days. All of the water damage spots are gone. The stock looks perfect.

Thanks guys for trying to help.

Thanks again, Paul

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, here it is. This is what I ended up with after sanding the stock and putting two coats of BLO on it. Also, I'm set up to refinish firearms in my garage. I disassembled the butt plate and reparked it.

Oh, sorry about the pictures. I had to borrow my son's
I-phone and was not sure how to work the darn thing.

Thanks, Paul

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Good job. The wood still looks pretty dry, like they come from the box. I'd get some more Tung into it, inside and out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The stock looks much better in person. After two coats the grain has been saturated. I think more coats would just add to build up on the stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts