M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a front band that has been m80ht treated or nitrided that I noticed is bent or bowed a bit. The bow prevents the gas cylinder from going all the way back against the barrel, but it may straighten out if forced back back the gas lock, but I don't think this is a good idea. Before I try to straighten it out, will I be able to bend it back or is it to brittle and might break? Thanks for your thought and opinions.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a front band that has been m80ht treated or nitrided that I noticed is bent or bowed a bit. The bow prevents the gas cylinder from going all the way back against the barrel, but it may straighten out if forced back back the gas lock, but I don't think this is a good idea. Before I try to straighten it out, will I be able to bend it back or is it to brittle and might break? Thanks for your thought and opinions.
Sounds like it's more of a bow then bent. It got bent one way without breaking so it should bend the other way without breaking. How did it become bent or bowed in the first place ?.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it that way as a complete nitrided gas system. I was just tweaking it minutes ago and it is not as flat as a granite plate, but it is much better now. There is no fitting problems now. I guess the heat from being nitrided could have warped it, but it is good to go now. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's why they make those big hammers sold at Harbor Freight.
I used a dead-blow hammer to get close to flat again and then used smooth, flat, parallel pliers to tweak it the rest of the way. It is not perfect, but it is much better than before. What sucks is I just realized that I did not polish the lip of the front band or round over the inside edge yet. Maybe I can do that without having to take it apart again just for that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts