M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Florida is considering a bill that would protect citizens who defensively display firearms or who fire warning shots, from being victimized by the law for the act of defending themselves. The idea behind the law is that merely displaying a firearm is enough to defuse most situations.

The law would read like this:

An act relating to defense of life, home, and property; creating s. 776.001, F.S.; providing legislative finding and intent; providing that the defensive display of a weapon or firearm, including the discharge of a firearm for the purpose of a warning shot, does not constitute the use of deadly force; providing immunity from prosecution for persons acting in defense of life, home, and property from violent attack or the threat of violent attack through certain displays of or uses of force; creating s.76.0011, F.S.; providing definitions; creating s.776.033, F.S.; providing for the justifiable defensive display of a firearm or weapon in certain circumstances; amending s. 776.06, F.S.; limiting a provision authorizing use of deadly force by law enforcement or correctional officers; creating s.775.0878, F.S.; providing an exemption from minimum sentence requirements related to use of a weapon or firearm for persons acting in self-defense or defense of others; authorizing a departure from minimum sentence requirements related to use of a weapon or firearm for persons convicted of certain offenses who meet specified requirements; providing an effective date.
http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2014/0089/BillText/Filed/PDF

Putting aside the typical gun grabber rhetoric, for practical/legal/philosophical reasons, what do you guys think, good or bad idea?

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Florida is considering a bill that would protect citizens who defensively display firearms or who fire warning shots, from being victimized by the law for the act of defending themselves.
The idea behind the law is that merely displaying a firearm is enough to defuse most situations.
Putting aside the typical gun grabber rhetoric, for practical/legal/philosophical reasons, what do you guys think, good or bad idea?
If it does THAT...It has to be GOOD!

CAVman in WYoming

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I will not pull out a weapon unless I fear for my life and my family. Brandishing serves no purpose in my book.
Why can't both be true in the same instant?

You aren't saying...Don't draw if you don't intend to shoot, are you?

Why SHOOT...If just 'drawing' defuses the threat?

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Do you know where warning shots go? They go to court.

I would not fire a warning shot, however, brandishing a weapon when you fear imminent body harm is wise. Many call it the low ready.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I guess the Context is important.

Garrard, or other Florida resident/members....can help out here.

My recollection is that there have been several incidents in Florida where an otherwise legitimate CCW Holder/home-owner who felt the need to actually demonstratethat they were armed, and could repel an attack...were basically singled out by prosecutors for 'Brandishing'.
IMHO, there are times(not every time)when demonstrating you are armed can in fact be...the end of the fight!

CAVman in WYoming

Reactions: 00F4B and russ0861

·
Registered
757 Posts
every story i hear about warning shots, the warning shot shooter gets apprehended and his pea shooter gets taken away.

and all i can think about is joe biden, blasting warning shots from his balcony...

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Warning shots are a horrible idea in ANY case. If things are to the point where you feel the need to fire your weapon, it should be into whatever is threatening you.

First time someone fires a warning shot and it ends up hitting some kid the anti-gun crowd is going to be throwing fits across the country. just giving them more and more ammo.

I will agree that sometimes just making your holster visible can defuse a situation...but I also firmly believe you shouldn't clear leather unless you have a legitimate need. but if you feel your life is threatened...I suppose you have to do what you have to do.

My personal belief? If I'm in a life threatening situation where I feel the need to draw my firearm, I intend to be the only one (out of the two of us) capable of testifying in front of a grand jury.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have displayed 3 times.

1st time by myself at the river. Car full of our predominate ethnicity gang banger types came out of car. No fishing gear, all had a tall boy in their hand. I pulled my shirt up so that anyone could see my 1911. No problems, they left soon after.

2nd time some trailer trash tweeker types followed the neighbor home from the gas station because he said something to them about the way they were parked in everyone's way. They parked in front of my house and got out of their cars and tried to start a fight with him. I went out with my 1911 and ran them off.

3rd time was late at night, wife and I noticed a car driving very slowly up and down our street with no lights on, they then parked in the darkest spot in front of my house (behind a large pine tree). By that time I was on my porch with my 1911. As they walked down the street, one said "Home boy has a gun," they got back into their car and left. I think they where casing the neighbors house.

I think a law to protect someone that display's a firearm to prevent a bad situation from escalating into violence is a good thing. Much better to show you have the tools and willingness to defend yourself and nothing happen, than actually having to use your tools.

Not sure on the warning shot thing. Too many people firing into the air, ricochets from rocks or cement, or warning shots passing through walls.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'm against warning shots and drawing without shooting, but thats just me.
Yeah, I've drawn in the past, thankfully without having to follow through.
But odds are if the weapon leaves the holster, the time for any sort of warning/threat is gone.
That said, I'm all for the law if it doesn't have handy loopholes for ill motivated prosecutors.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
To me, the point is...NEITHER 'displaying' or firing a 'warning shot' Is Evil Per Se!
Hell, Cops Can Do It With Immunity!
GI5
So, Why as such...should You or I, Joe Home-Owner...be Prosecuted For That Same Act(s)...all other things being equal...i.e.; no Reckless Conduct Involved!
Why should an Anti-Second Amendment Prosecutor be able to charge you with a Serious Crime---Just for showing a thug(s) that you have the Capability to shoot them(C.O.M., ok?)or if they still don't get it---to fire a round into Your Own Floor/Ceiling to prove you are Serious?
Why would we want to agree that that kind of Self-Defense/Home-Defense is Intrinsically Wrong and agree to give the State the Power to put us away for brandishing in the act of self-defense or firing a warning shot...in the act of self-defense ???

I DON'T GET IT!

CAVman in WYoming

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I'm against warning shots and drawing without shooting, but thats just me.
If the weapon leaves the holster, the time for any sort of warning/threat is gone.
That said, I'm all for the law if it doesn't have handy loopholes for ill motivated prosecutors.
Exactly!
Maybe you are Chuck Norris.
Maybe you are a Quaker or a Hare Krishna.
But if someone with less than our martial arts, skills and experiences...
GI5
...happens to 'brandish' or to 'fire a warning shot' in the act of defending themselves from an Intruder, Home Invader, Rapist, THUG...
WHY should a Prosecutor be able to turn all that around and upside down ?

CAVman in WYomin

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exactly!
Maybe you are Chuck Norris.
Maybe you are a Quaker or a Hare Krishna.
But if someone with less than our martial arts, skills and experiences...
GI5
LOL, I can just picture you in your black pajamas karate chopping the Glock out of some banger's hand in a dark house in the middle of the night. GI1

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
To me, the point is...NEITHER 'displaying' or firing a 'warning shot' Is Evil Per Se!
Hell, Cops Can Do It With Immunity!
GI5
So, Why as such...should You or I, Joe Home-Owner...be Prosecuted For That Same Act(s)...all other things being equal...i.e.; no Reckless Conduct Involved!
Why should an Anti-Second Amendment Prosecutor be able to charge you with a Serious Crime---Just for showing a thug(s) that you have the Capability to shoot them(C.O.M., ok?)or if they still don't get it---to fire a round into Your Own Floor/Ceiling to prove you are Serious?
Why would we want to agree that that kind of Self-Defense/Home-Defense is Intrinsically Wrong and agree to give the State the Power to put us away for brandishing in the act of self-defense or firing a warning shot...in the act of self-defense ???

I DON'T GET IT!

CAVman in WYoming
I wholeheartedly agree.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
LOL, I can just picture you in your black pajamas karate chopping the Glock out of some banger's hand in a dark house in the middle of the night. GI1
Sure...I can laugh at that!
But Me and You and MOST Guys here on the Forum...are just not your average Susie House-wife or Joe Home-owner...
And They Should Not Be Held To A Higher Standard Than---An Average CITIZEN With No Special Training or Expertise--- Defending Their 'Castle'!

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
532 Posts
As a retired LEO warning shots are bad juju. Really. Every time we pointed a weapon at someone we had to justify it, they were armed had just committed a violent felony, wanted on a violent felony warrant and so on. Pulling your weapon out of the holster at bunch of kids yelling and screaming or so is not justified and we had officers fired and criminal charges filed against a few.
You have to articulate why you felt threatened ( there were 7 of them and came towards me as if to rob me and so on). Unless you live in very rural area any shot you fired has to go somewhere. So if you shoot through the ceiling does it stay there? Maybe, depends on what you shot with. Rifle it's gone, magnum pistol maybe, was the bullet FMJ HP etc and they all end up somewhere.
Like our female officer who shot at a dog. Two hit the dirt, too bad it was frozen and one hit the pavement and went on its merry way until it hit a house half a block away and went through a wall and missed a toddler sleeping by about 8 inches.
If you have never testified or been interagated for a shooting valid or not you really don't want too.
I agree with Bamban , you pull the weapon out you better intend on using it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
OK Kids, lets remember the golden rules of firearms

1) All firearms are loaded until YOU prove otherwise

2) Never point a firearm at a living thing, unless you plan to kill it

3) If you point your firearm at a living being, kill it.

So simple even a libtard can understand

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
" We Have Met The Enemy, And He Is Us!"

And with that....Goodnight!

GI2

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
No to any warning shots.

Display maybe but only in certain scenarios.

I had a situation where I did display. It was a 90 degree summer night and two gang banger types in trench coats walking down the sidewalk turned and made a beeline for me as I sat at my picnic table. They pulled ball bats from under their jackets when they were about twenty five yards from me. I had my Colt Python .357 on my lap, I just raised it up so they could see the profile clearly and cocked the hammer. They instantly turned and ran.

Now if they were closer or had firearms there would have been a gunfight, and I would not have gave them any warning other than a muzzle blast.

If someone is in my house I am shooting - no display or warning shot. I take zero chances when it comes to my family.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts