M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a SAI NM that came with a Gen 3 scope mount (2 big screws one in receiver and one in block where striper clip would go).

I have been looking thru a lot of post here and am now confused.

I read where they will come loose. I was wondering what would be the best
mount to get from the start? I was wondering if the ARMS #18 or ? would be the best direction to go?

Also what about a scope and rings?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have just scoped mine and took it to a local smith to get bore sighted and thank God I did not thread lock the whole thing. They could not bore sight as I did not have enough left windage. This is a Smith mount and so we tried a diffent scope and the same deal. I came home and removed the scope and put a laser bore sighter on the mount and sighted the rifle via the open sights and the mount was way off, canted. I played around enough to get it lined up with the open sights which should now allow it to be bore sighted but with no locktite. Not 1 round fired yet with the scope attached and it may never happen. This has been the most frustrating rifle I have ever had as far as mods go. Oh yeah, scope is a US Optics variable with Vortex Tactical rings which are the beefiest I have seen. Bipod is a Harris with Sadlak adapter which was tricky to install. The sling which is a GI cotton original was the only painfree accessory to this point.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not what I like to hear all these issues with the mounts and rings.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Where did you get your Smith mount from and what type is it? Just picked up one of the Weaver style mounts from Smith and your story didn't give me any "warm fuzzies" on proceeding with mine.

·
"Death From Above"
11,920 Posts
I had a factory installed Gen III and yes it came loose twice in a couple of hundred rounds. It will work but you need to do a little work nothing to serious. I took my screws out and cleaned the grease from all threads. Once that was done I put a little dab of loc tite on the two screws and installed them. Once they were in I then turned them 1/4-1/3 of a turn with a screw driver. It never came loose again. As a matter of fact when I removed it, I couldn't get it off with a screw driver alone. I had to use the snap on screw drivers with the 1/4 inch nut on the base and turn it with a 1/4 inch wrench as well. These mounts have a bad reputation but mine worked well after the loc tite. If you have the time give it a try. Many love the arms mount but I have read where they interfere with rounds ejecting. Can or will anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
96 Posts
my SEI is a steel weaver style and I bought it from Gunbroker about 2 months ago. I should have known it was going to be trouble because it went on without any problems. Everything was exactly where it needed to be. All I needed to do to fix the left canting problem was loosen everything back up and bump the mount and cant it to the right and tighten down the dovetail end and then tighten the reciever end slowly while still sighting with the open sights and a laser on the mount to ensure it stays lined up. So much adjusting that I didn't dare Loctite it as I fear it will be out of alighnment when I go back to boresight it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Any mount you use take a dowel, and lay it in the grove in the center of the mount. This will allow you to align the mount before you put your scope on. Scoping the M1-A is so much fun. And Bassett mounts rock!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
save yourself a headache and get a basset picatanny mount. Im using warne rings right now and i havent had any issues- although id love to have a set of badger ordinance low rings.

K.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.