M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gathering parts for another build. It is going to be another heavy barreled match rifle. So far the parts I have on hand are:
Winchester bolt, op rod, and trigger group.
NOA marked GI NM heavy barrel. Still new in Gov packing.
Smith Ent NM rear sights.
Sykes GI NM stock. Unused and re packed by RIA
Sadlak NM spring guide and piston.

I was originally going to use the GI NM stock, I am now thinking using a McMillian stock. I am torn in the middle here. What do you all think? Go with the GI stock or the McMillian? If I go with the wood stock, everything would be GI with the exception of the receiver. I currently have an SAI receiver and I am on the list for a LRB rear lug receiver. I almost have enough parts for two builds, so there one more build in the future. Just looking for other people's opinions for the stock.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Either stock should work fine. I'd recommend the McMillan if you are a serious competition shooter since it will hold up better and maintain it's bedding over a longer period of time, but the slightly oversized wood stock will be OK for most shooting including matches. Some folks just like the feel of wood. I know I do, but I always used a McMillan when I was competing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a brown Mcmillan M1A on it's way. It should be here in a 2 to 3 weeks. I'll just have to decide which stock will go on each rifle. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
You just have to get a Sage. At $900 it's a steal!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I would use the GI wood stock with the GI barrel. Then use the McMillan with a SS barrel so it would look more like a USMC match rifle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts