M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang, I have an odd question........

How long will a standard brick wall hold up to gunfire? I am talking with a 308 round..........I know if you have a 50 cal Ma Deuce, I would be dead meat pretty quick.........but what about semi auto fire?

Any one have real world experience or some testing on the ex wives house?.....GI3

I live in a brick house and am just curious........I know drywall is worthless......would my brick exterior give me some protection in case of assault?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm not saying it will outright stop a 308 but I would not use a brick wall as cover. I've never shot a a standing wall but I have shot bricks and cinder blocks and the .308 just about powders them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
powdered bricks......

Spartan, I have shot cinderblocks and bricks as well, and they can just blow apart but I was wondering if the whole wall built together gives it added strength as opposed to individual pieces......

Reactions: racer

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Unless you are in the basement or standing behind a gun safe the standard house isn't going to provide very much protection against larger caliber rounds.

Reactions: Glashaus

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Cinder blocks, when not grouted, are easily penetrated by real rifles very quickly.

But grouted cinder blocks, and especially bricks, when assembled as a complete wall, are far, far more easily able to withstand several more shots before being compromised.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Most post WWII brick houses, the brick is only a exterior veneer, what is behind the brick will be plywood, insulation, then drywall interior construction. These walls will offer nothing in the way of cover against 7.62mm sustained fire! concealment only. Reinforced concret, sandbags and heavy timber are your friends when looking for cover. Most residential structures would do very poorly for your SHTF, end of days, combat bunker.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Agree with Glashaus except having shot through railroad ties I would say timbers. If I were looking to fight from a American I would look at reinforcing a fighting position with sandbags or plywood and about 18" of dirt.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Standard block or brick curtainwall won't cut the mustard. Now if the cores are filled with mortar and rerod, that is different. A poured basement foundation is the best bet, concrete is harder and stronger than mortar.

Limestone block would be ideal, take a look at photos from WWII Berlin. The Germans used a lot of limestone in construction, small arms fire will leave a mark but not much more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts