M14 Forum banner

W-W marked M14 buttstock

4885 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  mac75
Just got a Freds Birch stock from an M14. With the buttplate removed, the letters W-W and a bunch of numbers are visible. There are no other visiblt proofs or eagle stamps on this stock. Freds states it was made by Winchester. But why doesnt it have the Cicle P and the Eagle acceptance stamps or any other makings? Were these replacements?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
9,283 Posts
lockedandloaded said:
Just got a Freds Birch stock from an M14. With the buttplate removed, the letters W-W and a bunch of numbers are visible. There are no other visiblt proofs or eagle stamps on this stock. Freds states it was made by Winchester. But why doesnt it have the Cicle P and the Eagle acceptance stamps or any other makings? Were these replacements?
I had one of these from Fred's too. The Circle P was put on after proof firing. The Defense acceptance stamp was given after passing final ordnance inspection. Since this stock has neither, odds are it is a replacement stock.

· Registered
15 Posts
Recently received a couple of these Winchester stocks through the CMP program. Both were birch, and had thicker dimensions through the wrist and handgaurd areas. Had part numbers and W-W stamped under the buttplate. One had no markings on the outside, one had a "P" proof mark inside a square on the pistol grip.

I read somewhere that these were only used as replacement stocks.

· Registered
4,131 Posts
These are the lauded "Big Red" Birch stocks people talk about.

They were replacement stocks, which were adopted with thicker dimensions in part because of cracked stocks from bayonet training. The thicker atocks held up better to getting beat around. As an added bonus, they were found to be a fair bit stiffer and became popular for match shooting.

As they were never issued on a rifle from the factory, they do not have the DAS or Proof stamps.

· Registered
15 Posts

They were replacement stocks, which were adopted with thicker dimensions in part because of cracked stocks from bayonet training. The thicker atocks held up better to getting beat around. As an added bonus, they were found to be a fair bit stiffer and became popular for match shooting.

As they were never issued on a rifle from the factory, they do not have the DAS or Proof stamps.
Well, I just turned up the first one with a proof stamp. ;) P inside a square (not the usual P inside a circle). Since it is a refinished stock, through the CMP (they claim Rock Island Arsenal refurbished them 7 or 8 years back), possibly it got the proof mark when it as originally installed on a refurbished M14? The P is definitely been sanded over a good bit during the refurbishment process. I understand from some internet searches the P inside a square was used for stocks issued with refurbished rifles.

· Registered
4,131 Posts
A quick search brings up this in reference to P in a square. No idea a source for the information, but considering Gus is a reliable source I believe it to be accurate.

The following is pretty general for both the M1 Garand and M14 stocks.

The P in the circle was stamped on the stock when the rifle was first manufactured and test fired with a proof load. SOME times you see even two such stamps on rifles that went back to Springfield Arsenal for rebuild.

The P in the square does mean it was rebuilt. Sometimes that is the only stamp you see when they replaced the stock at the rebuild Arsenal.

A stock that does not have a P in a circle or square is a replacement stock. When we found a wood stock that was cracked/broken beyond reasonable repair, we ordered a new stock and placed it on the rifle in 3rd and 4th Echelon Maintenance Shops in each Military Service. We did not stamp a P in a circle or square as we did not check them with a Proof Load, though we often function fired them to ensure they functioned correctly.

· Registered
15 Posts
I have come across several refurbished M14 stocks with the P inside a square proof mark, all from the CMP program. There is no doubt they exist, and the sources I read from, all appeared reliable, as I understand the fallible nature of the internet...

· Registered
735 Posts

Just picked up one of these. Has W-W under the buttplate along with a series of #s. Has some tiger striping, chip at buttplate and missing some metal but the damn thing is gorgeous.

· Registered
554 Posts
Yes Winchester - Western. These are the "BigRed" replacement UNISSUED Birch stocks Fred's has or had. No DAS or Circle P. I bought one, was $250 I think, and beautiful. Sold it here. That is a great stock, I miss that one, enjoy!

That could be the start of an all GI Winchester build! Look out!

Mac

· Registered
735 Posts
Yes Winchester - Western. These are the "BigRed" replacement UNISSUED Birch stocks Fred's has or had. No DAS or Circle P. I bought one, was $250 I think, and beautiful. Sold it here. That is a great stock, I miss that one, enjoy!

That could be the start of an all GI Winchester build! Look out!

Mac
Thanks for the info. Might work it with BLO but looks great as is. (don't want to screw it up)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.