M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did not know where else to put this so I doing it here in Ammo.

Anyone buy or use "W" marked M14 mags? I believe that they are Westinghouse made and GI. They look good and the two that I have tried funtioned well. Saw them for sale for under $20 at a few online stores and I am thinking of stocking up, wanted to pass this along. Feedback is appreciated.

Anyone know where I can get a green GI web sling? They are tough to find.

Al

·
Registered
9,465 Posts

Anyone buy or use "W" marked M14 mags? I believe that they are Westinghouse made and GI. They look good and the two that I have tried funtioned well. Saw them for sale for under $20 at a few online stores and I am thinking of stocking up, wanted to pass this along. Feedback is appreciated.

Al
For $20 each, they will not be 1960s USGI contract manufacture. Yes, Springfield Armory, Inc. has used USGI canvas web slings advertised on its web site.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

Al
I bought some from Cheaper Than Dirt (Mag-0356, $17.97 each) two years ago. This stock number comes with the 'W' marking. Ad text mentions the marking. Some look spec, some have incorrect spot weld patterns, but the components all look alike. Not all would hold 20 rounds at first..so I cleaned them and cycled the follower/spring, cleaned and lubed again, now ALL work fine.
Members of this list suggested CMI mags so I bought some also. This seems like the safest way to go.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts

Al
I bought ten from Cheaper Than Dirt. Thought they were "GI Westinghouse"...sent one to an expert, on the East coast. He was interested in whether they were real. He disassembled/inspected it and, coupled with the exam of the case, easily determined them to be counterfeit.

Some of the ten, from the outside, look very real. Right number of welds, straight, evenly spaced, etc. Some do not.

I haven't tried them yet but, from what I have heard, there is no reason to believe they won't work; though they may not hold the full 20 rounds, as someone else here mentioned.

I recently stumbled on ten New In Wrapper, CMI 20 rounders for $21.20 each and that included freight. Wish I had found them first. But the "W" mags are probably worth the Cheaper Than Dirt price.

Web slings are common. Fulton Armory, Cheaper Than Dirt, Sportsmans Guide, many surplus stores, etc.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Went down this road about a month or two ago... chances are, they are fake. Mine were. Easiest way to tell on those was the "W" was too high from the bottom of the magazine plate, and the weld dimples were too numberous. USGI specs call for one near the top of the magazine, this one had 2 or 3. The spring also had 1 too many coils.

* I didnt take a chance to see if they were worth a damn or not. i took them back. I only trust real USGI's or CMI's. All others, IMHO are just not worth the risk/trouble. Your stick is only as good as your mags.

·
Registered
751 Posts
All "W" magazines are not created equal, but I have to say that the ones that Cheaper Than Dirt was selling for $17.99 have all worked fine with my rifles.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Echoing the comment above, 'W' marked mags are commonly counterfeited.

I bought a pair 'still in the contract wrapper' on the PX here.
Trouble was, contract stamping on the package was 'OM' (Winchester), but the mags had the 'W' stamp when opened (Westinghouse).
Upon examination, the mag bodies were CMI with repro springs and cheap followers.

I replaced the faked 9 coil springs with GI 8 coils and of course they work just fine now.

Pick up Different's pictorial guide to mag identification on his website. It's free and will help you avoid wasting money on the fakes.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts