M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all from Boise Idaho.

I recently experimented with the Vortex Strikefire on my scout squad. It was mounted on the scout rail and...it does not work well. The lowest mount vortex offers is still a tad to high. I have the sight cranked down to the lowest setting and am still hitting the target 3-4" low at about 50 yards when trying to sight it in. Dead center otherwise.

I'm rolling the dice here and guessing that if I get a REALLY low ring that it would work. So, first off, does anyone have experience with these red dots on a scout or on the m14 platform? Any suggestions on low mount scope rings to play with would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What other ranges did you shoot other than 50 yard that was dead center?
I was out in the field and had it at about 100 yards or so and was having the same issue. I was thinking perhaps I'm too close...but it shouldn't make that big a difference within a 100 yards (correct me if I'm wrong). I've sighted in plenty of scopes at that range and haven't had issues other than adjusting to further distances when sighted in.

My thought on the POU on this scope was within 100-150 yards. Perhaps that thought is a pile of horse**** and I should reconsider another sight. The sparc by vortex is a flush mount and may work...

I was just curious if anyone had experience with this set up.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have the sight cranked down to the lowest setting and am still hitting the target 3-4" low at about 50 yards when trying to sight it in. Dead center otherwise.
What is the distance from the centerline of the bore to the centerline of the scope? Are you trying to lower the point of impact or raise it?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't think the trajectory is the only thing but it may be compounding with the optic height depending on the range you zeroed. As a disclaimer I'm only familiar with a few red dot optics, and never on the M14.

*edit - sorry I think I misunderstood the question. I realize you are bottomed out on elevation which I think is almost definitely sight height then.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I agree with Harley tech on this one. Get the sight lower. Rings will sit lower than mounts will. Try a low Burris xtr. If that doesn't work, try a different optic line a mrds.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am of the opinion that its not scope height at all.

lets try to do math and maybe by proving me wrong or right we can test that hypothesis of scope height.

He says that at 100yds it shoots low. GOT it!

he says "I have the sight cranked down to the lowest setting and am still hitting the target 3-4" low at about 50 yards when trying to sight it in. Dead center otherwise."
This statement I question Do you mean you ran the elevation adjustment to the end of its travel in the UP direction and its still low? Im guessing yes.

This optic has 100 min of adjustment Im guessing that's 50+- center

Now with the scope line parallel to the barrel and assuming a bullet path that is not obstructed by maybe a flash suppressor one could assume that the bullet path is inline and parallel to the barrel (the same line)

Bullet drop is about 2" at 100yds

Lets say his optic reticule sits 5" above the bullet (that's pretty fricken high)

If we put a laser light in the barrel that shot straight out of the barrel and one that shot straight through the middle of the reticule (with the scope line parallel to the barrel)
The barrel laser would hit 5" below the one pointed through the reticule. (I think im still on track here right?)

Now if we replace the barrel laser with a bullet we add drop to that so 5+2 thats 7" low at 100yds right?

That should take about 7 min of elevation adjustments to correct for or 14 clicks at 1/2 moa per click.

The closer the target gets to us the less effect our adjustments have to correct for 5" of offset at 10yds would take 40 minutes of adjustment but that's still within the range of turret travel.

BUT if the scope was off just 1.5 deg up it would I think be right about 50" at 100 yds or outside the range of adjustments.

I think im correct with the above if you think I over looked something and that caused bogus numbers let me know!

The above is why I dont think its scope height at 100 yds

-Gun

·
Registered
284 Posts
Maybe I am missing something but if you are hitting 3-4" below your point of aim at 100yds you need to turn the knob in the UP direction about 6-8 clicks. This optic has a 1/2 Min adjustment per click for elevation according to Vortex's website.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you do some reading in the forum, you will find that the general consensus is that the scout rail is considered a POS. It gets hot from the barrel heat when you shoot and doesn't maintain zero for anyone that I've read who posted on the subject. The key is to go with a different mount. Do some some searching on here and you'll find what others have used instead. Save yourself time and ammo.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I dont have one on my rifle but I have shot many that have the scout mount installed with various optics including, Trijicon Tri powers, aimpoints, Bushnell red dots etc.... I have never experienced one not holding zero even after hundreds of rounds.

I am sure it can happen as it could happen with about any other mount but I haven't seen it. The mount does get hot as would be expected with anything mounted on a .308 barrel.

Let us know how it works out.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
If you want shots to hit higher then you need to angle the sight down.

You could use an aluminum shim on the mount in the rear.

Try a warne low 30mm ring. They are steel and affordable

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll be off to the range after my work project and will have video so that there might be clarification to some of the questions.

At this point I'm assuming there might be a ring height issue...but I need to tinker a bit more.

Again, having a red dot on the rifle is just for fun. When I encounter an obstacle I tend to focus on it. As always thanks for the insight guys - I'll get back.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Change your rings and get a lower rail. I had that issue forever with a scope and I have to get lower rings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts