4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember These?

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Remember These?

Trung Si Beacoup Dinky Dau !!!

I Have Old MPC...Now MP's Tell Me NO GOOD!
How Can Be No Good!
I Have 10,000 IN MPC...Now Worthless!
G.I. # freakin 10 !!!

Ngoc Nguyen Tho
Base Laundry Mama-san

========================================

GITEN

CAVman in WYoming

·
SGT of Marines
332 Posts
My MPC had a pretty blond on it. What happened to her, who was she?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Today Momma-san would do well to still have that 10K in 681 series MPC. She trade on E#%y keep her much happy.MCORPS1GI6DI5GI1

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
My MPC had a pretty blond on it. What happened to her, who was she?
This One?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Payment_Certificate

Probably THIS ONE:
http://cgi.ebay.com/10c-MILITARY-PA...755?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588c75b2bb

It Really Is IRONIC! Back In 1969 When I Was DEROS/REFRAD-ing, There Was NO WAY I Ever Believed Crap Like MPC Would Someday Be WORTH Something! I'm Sure I Turned In Every MPC And 'Dong' I Had To Have REAL Money Back In The Land Of Round Door-Knobs and the BIG PX !!!

GI6

CAVman in WYoming

·
Administrator
18,142 Posts
Research, the only good game in town anymore......

* The 661 series was used from Oct.'68 through Aug.'69. The denomination were 5, 10, 25, 50 cents and the 1, 5, 10 & 20 dollar notes.
* The 681 series was used from Aug.'69 through Oct.'70. The denomination were 5, 10, 25, 50 cents and the 1, 5, 10 & 20 dollar notes.
* The 692 series was used from Oct.'70 through Mar.'73. The denomination were 5, 10, 25, 50 cents and the 1, 5, 10 & 20 dollar notes.
* The 701 series was never issued or used in any way. The denomination were only 1, 5, 10 & 20 dollar notes. I have a copy set only.

I all the ones above the only one I don't have is the $10 series 661, it's going for over $1,000 in very good condition.

I brought home the 681 & 692 series from Vietnam in mint condition.DI5

·
Registered
77 Posts
RE MPC's

What, my MPC's are no good, I was saving for my retirement. Next thing I guess my confederate money will be no good.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
If you want your britches scorched, . . . do a Google hunt for Confederate money.

I kinda thought a few weeks ago about getting some for a display, . . . thought better of it when I saw the prices.

If you have any, . . . sell it now, . . . buy gold or gasoline.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
784 Posts
Here's what I think !

I remember using that stuff and went through a changing of currency back in RVN in 1970 . A Vietnamese soldier I knew offerred me a 100 MPC two days later that was worthless . It was alot of money for him , but was worth nothing to me and guess he learn the hard way ! CAMOHELMET

I wonder how all the hookers made out ? dance2

·
Registered
77 Posts
I sold my whole civil war collection during the heyday of buying, made a fortune! Even sold my 2 classic cars people said I was carzy for doing so. I just smile now and they don't say a word. Now I buy what helps me to survive!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Here's some MPC from my time (Jun 66-Jan 68).

I have some Dong if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
922 Posts
In 1969 when they changed the currency the fence was 3 deep with Koreans trying to get GIs to take their money and convert it into the new MPC. A couple hours later the Base Commander put a limit on how much each GI could convert. Since I hardly ever had any money it was NBD to me but a lot of people, GIs included, got burned. DI5

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Just as soon as we left Pearl Harbor headed for the West Pac they'd announce over the 1MC that the disbursing officer was in the mess decks to exchange dollars for MPC. Then ten months later before we got back to Pearl on the way back to the world they'd do the same thing and swap MPC back for dollars. Back then (62-66) you'd better not get caught on the beach with dollars or for that matter with too many cigarettes.

7th

·
Registered
333 Posts
Back then (62-66) you'd better not get caught on the beach with dollars or for that matter with too many cigarettes.

7th
Too many cigarettes? You mean bucoup cartons? I always had several cartons in my foot locker.

I always had a few green backs stashed away for a special treat/occasion, but never carried them with me.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
+1 on Grumbler. I was in Dong Ba Thin for most of 69. When the MPC change over took place the base was closed, no one in or out. The good gamblers lost a lot of money. The house girls thought it was our fault, they wanted MPC not piastres and most got burned pretty bad. The girl who worked in our hooch made out well as she converted her money to gold jewelery as soon as possible and wore her fortune to work.

·
SGT of Marines
332 Posts
Cavman and CCKen, that is what I remember. I only have one 5 cent and one 5 Dong note in my scrap book. Yeah, who would have thought it would ever be worth what it is now.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I have one 10 cents Series 661 that I have been carrying in my wallet since 1968. The serial number is B16616507B. On the front is a lady wearing a white blouse and white scarf. I'm not quite sure what she is holding.

Regards

Ox

·
Administrator
18,142 Posts
Research, the only good game in town anymore......

Ox,

From the Comprehensive Catalog of Military Payment Certificates, printed in 2002. Pages 82, 83 & 98.

The first time that this female vignette was used on MPC was with the series 521, on the back of the $1 note. Then on the front of the series 661 for all the small notes.

It comes from a larger picture of a farm girl/women. In her right hand she is holding a rose. In the left hand is a rolled-up parchment. The same vignette was used on the face of the Paraguay 100 peso bank note of the late 1940's.

Note;
521 Series was issued 25th May 1954.
Withdrawn 27th May 1958.

661 Series was issued 8th March 1968.
Withdrawn on 11th August 1969.

I hope that answer your question for you Sir.DI5

The serial number is B16616507B. On the front is a lady wearing a white blouse and white scarf. I'm not quite sure what she is holding.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts