M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I emailed VLTOR to inquire if they were planning on overing a rail mount for the front of their MOD STOCK for the M1A/M14. I got these pictures back in the response email with an expected availability in 2-4 weeks. This info was provided also...

The QDM-14 gives the user the ability to have a bottom mounted Picatinny rail and a push button side slide mount without modifying the original GI fiberglass handguard assembly. Also, this QDM will fit all the new Springfield Nylon stocks, with the brass inserts.

Retail Price: $89.95

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
If it had optional rails for the sides that would be even better. I really want to stick my Contour ROAM on the side of my m1A on my next coyote hunt.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Looks pretty neat but I'm still holding out in hopes they will come out with a full length bottom rail built into the stock like those old RRM modded stocks.

I do like the screw in sling swivel though - that's nice to have.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Call me a critic, but I'm not sold on the execution of this one. I found that when using my VLTOR stock in conjunction with a VersaPod rail and a Picatinny Bipod (Larue-Harris setup), there was too much flex induced at the front end of the stock and the end result was inconsistent groupings. Putting more "tug" even closer to the muzzle will more than likely induce the same (or worse) flex. Now, my rifle is set up as a DMR, and these considerations may not matter to someone with a SOCOM sitting in the VLTOR stock.

Perhaps if there was a QD attachment closer towards the receiver end of the stock...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Call me a critic, but I'm not sold on the execution of this one. I found that when using my VLTOR stock in conjunction with a VersaPod rail and a Picatinny Bipod (Larue-Harris setup), there was too much flex induced at the front end of the stock and the end result was inconsistent groupings. Putting more "tug" even closer to the muzzle will more than likely induce the same (or worse) flex. Now, my rifle is set up as a DMR, and these considerations may not matter to someone with a SOCOM sitting in the VLTOR stock.

Perhaps if there was a QD attachment closer towards the receiver end of the stock...
Conversely, there are quite a few threads in this forum on how to stiffen the front end of a USGI synthetic stock using materials such as fiberglass and carbon fiber arrows.

The Vltor modstock is a USGI fiberglass stock that has been cut behind the reciever and forward of the grip, then fitted with vltors proprietary adapter.

While I understand that VLTOR markets these stocks as not needing to be bedded, there are members here who have also had that done.

If you wish to use the GI sling swivel or something such as this I would highly recommend reinforcing the rear end. Especially if you plan on slinging up tightly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Conversely, there are quite a few threads in this forum on how to stiffen the front end of a USGI synthetic stock using materials such as fiberglass and carbon fiber arrows.

The Vltor modstock is a USGI fiberglass stock that has been cut behind the reciever and forward of the grip, then fitted with vltors proprietary adapter.

While I understand that VLTOR markets these stocks as not needing to be bedded, there are members here who have also had that done.

If you wish to use the GI sling swivel or something such as this I would highly recommend reinforcing the rear end. Especially if you plan on slinging up tightly.
Oh, I'm quite well aware of the VLTOR stock setup and what it all entails; I have one on my DMR-ish rifle and was one of the earlier adopters. What I'm saying is that this stock, fresh out of the box, exhibits a good amount of flex at the front end that I saw firsthand when using a picatinny rail and attached bipod. That's just the weight of the rifle itself changing the front band tension. Integrating a sling point even closer to the front end is a step in the wrong direction, no pun intended. Again, this may not be an issue for someone in close range applications, but one needs to be aware that while solving one problem, they'll be creating another.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice looking rifle Rican Havoc!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I like the Vltor product and the weight seems to be lighter than the other modular stocks on the market! The Sage is Cool but the Troy looks out of place, too bulky. If I was to go that route I'd probably go Vltor first! Nice setup brother...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.