M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Howdy folks. Some of you have asked about updates on this project, so here it is. My last post on this topic was many-a-moon ago, and I apologize. I'm afraid a lot of my time has been held hostage by a few different top-quality AR15s, an MP5 SBR project, a nice little CZ 452, and my Weber charcoal grill DI5 I trust the real gentlemen here would find these distractions truly forgivable GI1

For those who don't recall the original thread on the rifle, here it is...

...and here's the first round of accuracy results with reloaded ammo.

Since I've been spending so much time with other toys, I haven't had time to further my load development for this rifle, but I figured that since I have never tried Federal Gold Medal Match, that maybe a better idea would be to run some of it before continuing forward.

Well, the results of the VLTOR M1A DMR with Federal Gold Medal Match are in. The video is seen below. I only had two boxes of this ammo to shoot today, but nonetheless I think I can realistically call this rifle a 1.5 MOA shooter at this point.

Now, the question will be whether I should continue forward and unitize the gas system, get a trigger job, and bed the action. I guess there is no real answer to this question, since it seems with the M1A one starts to reach a point of diminishing returns sooner or later, and the tradeoffs become more apparent the deeper in we go...RNGR3

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi_KlZIIf3w"]VLTOR M14 Accuracy Pt. II [/ame]

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Looks fine to me! And ditch the bipod for accuracy - they seem to induce some funky recoil patterns.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Nice looking rifle, great video and great shooting.

I have a few questions regarding the Vltor stock.
What is the weight and balance compared to a USGI stock?

How do you like the way it handles.

Is the stock bedded or is it a drop in?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice looking rifle, great video and great shooting.

I have a few questions regarding the Vltor stock.
What is the weight and balance compared to a USGI stock?

How do you like the way it handles.

Is the stock bedded or is it a drop in?
Unfortunately, I don't have a standard USGI fiberglass stock to compare it to. I can tell you that it is lighter that the Boyd's walnut stock that it replaced.

I like the way it handles, although for benchrest shooting, it is not the best. With the lighter weight and pistol grip, it is much more prone to shifting while trying to gain a steady shot in a rested position. For field positions, it handles much quicker, and the pistol grip takes the weight distribution off of your wrists.

The VLTOR is a modified USGi fiberglass stock, so it is a drop-in fit. Of course, it can be bedded, but in my case I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Thanks for the info.

As far as more work on your rifle, I think it falls under the catagory of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
That rifle is shooting plenty good.

I think I would put the cost of increased work for that rifle,
on my next rifle, or whatever.DI5

·
Registered
158 Posts
Great video and very nice rifle and shooting. I would glass bed that rifle and unitize. I need to get a Vltor stock one of these days.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Awesome looking Vltor. I like both variants with the 18.5" and 22" barrel configurations. Great range report and video too.DI2

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Sir, that is a nice looking bang stick, great shooting too.

I must say though, in my experience it is worthwhile to bed and stiffen the forearm in any fiberglass stock....DIEVIL

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sir, that is a nice looking bang stick, great shooting too.

I must say though, in my experience it is worthwhile to bed and stiffen the forearm in any fiberglass stock....DIEVIL
Thank you, kind Sir!

I think the biggest realization for me was how much a bipod in that location plays games with the groups. I'm assuming that it alters the front band tension, which returns more erratic groups. I will surely be rethinking the bipod application on this rifle. I've been shooting with the bi-pod for a while, so now I am curious to run back through different types of ammo WITHOUT the bipod to see how things change.

I've been considering a unitized gas system, and after I get some of the current pokers out of the fire, I will look further into bedding and stiffening the stock. I'm just not sure about the dollars/performance ratio, but I can be convinced GI2

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice rifle sir.... I would hole heatedly agree that you shim and unitize the gas system and shim the front of the stock and barrel band. A trigger job will also make a big difference if you are going for small consistent groups. My standard m1a was a 3" gun at 100 yrds until I did all of the above, and now it shoots 1.5" or slightly better, and that is with a 1-4 power optic, a bipod, and surplus ammo. Also shimming the the gas system is so easy and inexpensive that there really is no reason not to do it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: 1.5 MOA with Surplus Ammo... Are you talking about 3 shots, 5 shots, 10 shots, or more? Not to come across as a skeptic, but I've never seen any M1A shoot a 10 shot group that measured 1.5MOA or better using surplus ammunition. I've seen it done with 3-shot groups, but those really aren't a useful measure of real world accuracy.

Again, I don't mean to sound too skeptical, but if you have some info/documentation, I would love to have a look! In fact, it would be truly beneficial for the whole community here. I just think it is important in these discussions that we are really comparing compare apples to apples...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts