M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is my standard m1a in a vltor m14 stock i painted brown. i also added a tango down vertical grip. i cant figure out what to do with the paint job. i feel like i need to hit it with a lighter color maybe? i just dont want a gun that looks like a toy. maybe i should do some light camo stripes on it or something. i also plan to put two front rails up by the fore arm. need advise on the paint scheme though.....

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Grab a can of desert tan and spray a few loose stripes across the length of your stock.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Good looking and rather unique rifle. I really appreciate the variance of styles the platform lends itself to.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the camo job would not be for any other use other than looking good. this rifle set up is an experiment im doing just to see if i can make an original looking M14 type.

9th....i agree with you. it needs some light tan stripes. i was thinking green but not enough contrast with the brown.

i think ill just leave the vertical grip green.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just thinkin

If you dont have an airbrush, something easy and cool. Paint it all flat black with a spray can. Then maybe put just a few of the tan stripes that 9th talked about, dont get carried away with them and dont make em straight up and down . Loose and wide also every so often use a olive drab close to the tan or sand. You could even add a little brown but very little just in places. Then take some black on a brush and stand back a little and fleck it at the light colored areas (TAN-OD-BROWN).

Or paint it all tan, put some OD stripes maybe some brown. Then cover select light colored areas with a kitchen shelf perferated cloth and hit the light areas with a little black or contrasting colors. The schemes are endless.

It took me forever just to figure out what I wanted on my own. So it stayed in a regular brown stock till just about two months ago. I always want to keep the ones I paint but dont think the wife would want all those stocks laying around the house.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am also thinking of standing far back and hitting the brown with a tan color so light that it just speckels the brown to make it a light brown.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i like the brown by itself too, but right now it looks a little too "sporty" or toy-like. and i am wondering if i should continue to not paint the adaptor area that holds the grip and stock.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THANKS for all the advice guys. well, i just couldnt leave it alone, so i specked it with a light tan......gunna see if it grows on me then change it again im sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts